1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Squeaking when 4x4 engaged

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jpar247, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jpar247

jpar247 Member

Hey guys, finally got a good dumping of snow today, I was out doing our lot and about half way thru the day when I would engage 4x4(ESOF) at a stop, a squeaking sound would start for a few revolutions, then stop when the 4x4 would engage, then when I started moving it would squeak away. It only seems to do it when I have the plow on, altho I haven't driven long amounts in 4x4 without the plow.

I figure it must be the Auto hubs. Am I on the right track? Next time should I just manually lock my hubs when plowing?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. jpar247

jpar247 Member

With further homework on other sites, it seem to be a common problem with the front Ball Joints or U Joints?
  3. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

your on the right track. my u joints had a nice click 2 them do them both and the seal
  4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

kind of the subject but I was told by a few people to lock your hubs in even with esof if you will be running in 4wd for a while. If for some reason you lose vacuum they can unlock and was you regain pressure relock and bust a hub. I know this isn't your problem but I thought i would throw it out there.
  5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I had a squeak a few years ago. It turned out to be the pass. side front wheel bearing. I really don't think you are going to get a rotational squeak from the ball joints. U-joints seem more likely.
  6. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

i had the same squeaking in my f250 when in 4x4 .changed all the u joints [axle and drive shaft] no more squeaking 'i had some dry u joints