1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

squeaking under the hood

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DareDog, Jul 31, 2011.

1. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

96 Chevy 1500 the AC dose not work in the truck. it never has since got it. for some reason really loud squeaking under the hood i think that comes from the AC compressor. it dose when the knob is set to defrost. but now its doing it when its knob is set to blow air out the front vents but air flow is button is off. how do i make it stop squeaking? its really loud. way louder than the truck motor. :help:
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

sounds to me like the bearings are going out on your a/c compressor. if u want a/c replace the compressor if you dont then im sure u can find a a/c delete pully at your local parts store. had some thing like this with my alternator, charged fine but the bearings were squilling loud changed it out for a hi output alt
  3. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I would say it is your A/C compressor too. It will eat your belt in no time when it locks up. You might be able to get a smaller belt that just bypasses the A/C compressor.