1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Squeaking GMC 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Jan 11, 2009.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I have a squeaking noise on my '02 GMC 2500HD. It only occurs when the truck is moving. Sometimes when I shift into revers from drive or drive from reverse I'll get a slight clunking sound. It sounds like a U-Joint, but I just had them replaced earlier this summer. Is there anyway that they can go dry in that short of time or did I just get a bad mechanic? Anything else it could be that I should check?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My ball joints and rear springs squeak on my 02 GMC.

3. Redsilv03

Redsilv03 Junior Member

U-Joints, front or rear, sway bar links and bushings make same noise, but if the noise is fast and loud almost constant, it is u-joints.

4. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

All three of our truck started squeaking, on all three it was u joints. The roller bearings have rusted to dust and that is what the squeaking is. On mine the joint was tight and no vibration. You will need a torch to melt the retainers on the joints to get them off.

5. Redsilv03

Redsilv03 Junior Member

New u-joints should come with grease zerks, make sure you are putting 3 good pumps into all zerks on steering and driveline parts ever 3000 miles or oil change, it really goes a long way

6. DeereFarmer

It is. Truck is going into my buddy's shop on Wednesday to get checked out.

7. DeereFarmer

Just a follow up: the front U joint was bad. I had both of themk done. $180 for both installed. Not bad I thought. I think I found me a new shop.

8. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Was it the same U joint that you just replaced?

9. DeereFarmer

It was the forward one. The previous one was the rear one. I just had him do both while the driveshaft was down just to make sure. Now they are both good. The held up with the back to back storms here without an issue, so I'm happy.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have had better luck with the non greasable lifetime/heavy duty u-joints from Autozone. Put in some from Napa with the zerk and one grenaded in less than a year, probably not even 500 miles. Also, whenever I have a shaft out, I always replace all the joints. It sucks to change one, and then the other goes bad in a couple months.......