1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Square foot pricing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Racer28s, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Racer28s

Racer28s Junior Member

Is there any way to bid propertys by square foot for both plowing and salting, it would make it much easier for bidding purposes
  2. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i would think you could bid them just about anyway you want?
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In my opinion - Not really, there are just too many variables. Two lots of the same square footage could be so different that one could be worth 2-3 times the other. But, hey, if that's what you want to do, try something like this - An average operator using a 3/4 ton pickup and 8' plow will plow an acre per hour. I've seen the average of $125/hr for using an 8' straight blade. If I remember right, there's 43,560 sq ft per acre, so:

$125 / 43560 = 0.002867 sq ft

Now that means that my 500' x 8' driveway would be $11.47 which is ridiculous. Even if it didn't have a hill, it'd be at least $40 - $50.

This isn't even considering equipment like pushers and skid steers.

As far as salt, how would you use the sq ft method to account for different requirements for sunny, shaded or north vs south facing areas?
  4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I can't really see it for plowing too many variables, but for salt a good guideline is .5 tons per acre, and I say guideline because of the things Mick mentioned......
  5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think that is a good way to do it. When I bid on plowing or mowing, I measure out the area so I have an "idea" of what the size is. I also look at how long it should take to do the job. That is how I figure my price.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I use my thumb it hasn't lied yet to me.
  7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I use this Thumb for Bigger Lots.....:waving:
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  8. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Start with smaller lots in your area for bidding. Stay with stuff that you think will take less than one hour so you can have a few different places to plow, and if you under bid one you can make it up on a different one.
  9. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

and better yet, SF pricing doesn't include parking lot obsticles, like light poles, handicap parking areas, islands, etc. all which take up time and can make the difference between a 2 hour job or a 3 hour job.
  10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I bid every lot based on square footage, and then take into account estimated efficiency of plowing based on size/obstructions/etc. how else do you do it? "ahhh shoot this'll take turdy minutes?"
  11. redman6565

i use square footage to grasp the size, because not every parking is the same shape, and some are deceiving, but I don't advertise or bid that I plow $.25 per SF or anything like that.
  12. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

.25per SF would be heaven
  13. nhmower

nhmower Junior Member

At $.25 a sq. ft it would be almost $11,000.00 for an acre lot, hell at that rate I could probably retire after one season.
  14. redman6565

guys...lets grasp that that was an arbitrary number. i do not get .25 per SF, wish i could, but i don't think there is a single market that would accomodate figures like that.