1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sqeaking noise??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by groundbreakers, Feb 28, 2008.

1. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i just noticed today that my 98 dakota 4x4 has a slight sqeaking noise anytime you barely rock the steering wheel in either direction ..... i was wondering if any one ever heard of such a thing .... or could it be balls joints need greasing ???

2. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Quite possible yes. I know the factory uppers are not greaseable and like fords they can squeak with movement after the grease gets displaced or all together worn out.. Probably will need a friend to help you out with this one.. We use large wood blocks under the front wheels to load the suspension as it would sit on the ground but will give you clearance to roll underneath with a creeper as well.. Your squeak may disappear with no weight on the problem area.

3. groundbreakers

well its a good thing i bought some ball joints a few months ago .... yeah i kinda figured as much ... the last time i took the truck in the suspension shop they told me to replace em .. i just didnt think ball joints squeaked .. i thought they just made a popping sound.. appreciate the advice ... i guess i need the take of the plow . LOL

4. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Well, im not saying 100% its the ball joints but its very possible, anything thats moving when you turn can be the culprit, tie rod ends, ball joints, anything.. Definatly need to check it out before throwing money at it.. You should hear fords ball joints squeak when they get really bad, sounds like a dying cat..

5. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Dakotas and Durangos are notorious for bad ball joints...

6. groundbreakers

LOL well the noise isnt that bad .. just noticed it the other night driving through Mcdonalds drive through ....... so i kinda doused everything down in WD 40 .. and really havent heard it since ... and yeah i know dodge and ball joints dont go together .. but when you live in a state to where road improvements are the last on the list .. i really dont have a choice but to keep replacing them every year . LOL thanks guys