1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sq.ft yield per 50lb bag

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rsibill, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Rsibill

Rsibill Junior Member

Halite Rock Salt 2.5¢ per sq.ft.
    Flakes - Calcium Chloride 3¢ per sq.ft.
    Pellets – Peladow Calcium Chloride 4.5¢ per sq.ft.
    Lava Melt 4¢ per sq.ft.

I was thinking of charging as listed above. Anyone have experience w/REALISTIC yields (using a spreader) of any of the above per 50lb bag?

2. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Why not just charge by the pound? Is there more money in charging by the sq foot? To me charging by the sq foot you would have to measure each and every lot. When you are billing out then you would need to have sq footage on each property in front you. If you go with per pound it is one price that you need to remember. Or charge a price per bag. Just my .02.
  3. Rsibill

Rsibill Junior Member

Per Pound vs Per Sq ft

When I do it per sq Ft, the customer knows ahead of time the charge. When you say per pound - does the customer know the charge before hand? if so - how so?

4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if you go by weight spread you can put more down when needed. you arnt always going to put down the same amount of product for each storm. some storms will require alot of product while others wont.
  5. The Coach

The Coach Junior Member

I agree with Superduty

Charge per pound or per bag, that way you can dump it on or go light depending on the conditions. They pay for what they get and you get paid for what you apply. Every bodies happy.
  6. fieldday

fieldday Junior Member
    from Wi

I get rock salt by the 50lbs. bag for around 3 bucks a bag. I charge 12 a bag applied. Like it was aid each application is unique. Temps. today and tomorrow, amount of snow/icing etc. It's very easy for billing and you can even split a bag if you had to for a small 6 dollar Dominoes Pizza salt job...
  7. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

The only thing the customer knows it that they will be paying so much per pound of salt. As stated before it depends on the conditions at the time of salting.
  8. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

50# bag of product how much ice will it melt

You can not say that a 50# bag of salt will melt xxx lbs of ice into water.

At 15F one lb of salt will melt around 4 lbs of ice into water.
    At 32F one lb of salt will melt around 43 lbs of ice into water.

Temperature will change the amount of chemicals required to melt ice.

Contact the chemical mfgs and they will give you charts on how much salt and other ice melting chemicals you need per sq ft at what temperature.

In real cold temperatures we always use more salt and icemelt.