1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sq. Ft. for salt question

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by bart46132, Oct 28, 2010.

1. bart46132

bart46132 Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Want to make sure im on the right train of thought here. Does this number sound acurate to you guys. 20 lbs. of salt per 1000 sq. ft. Just want to make sure im close on my bids. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Some will require more and some less but thats the figure I use.... it all averages out

3. Stowe

Stowe Member

Mick 76,

is 20 lbs per sf based on one application per event. How many applications do you apply on a big storm for a super market type lot.

stowe

4. bart46132

bart46132 Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Yes it is. Depending on the storm and timeframe of snow i will wait till the end of the storm to salt. Some customers want salt regardless though.

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Is it to be bare pavement at all times, or only once during a 24 hour period because of budget constraints?

The right answer is as many as it takes to meet the customers expectation and/or spec.

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Stowe,
    what Tlca said. generally speaking its 20 lbs per 1000 sf per application. ice storms youll use more while dustings youll use less. specify in your contract what your going to do.