1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spun out on black ice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LawnGuy110, Jan 25, 2014.

1. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

Spun out on black ice last night and hit another car. Drive safe everyone!

2. mud

mud Senior Member

Saw 5 different cars in the weeds last night in about 50 miles on I-35. I made it thorough pulling my gooseneck empty but I was one of the slowest vehicles on the road. Most of the cars were still doing 70 when it was slick enough that anytime my truck downshifted for a hill I broke traction for a second. Doing 40 on the interstate sucked, but it was better than getting in a wreck.

3. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

I'm not at all offended that he brought this up either. The other driver was a very nice lady and actually knows my neighbors and literally told me sh*t happens. Both of us decided not to go through insurance companies and I will just pay out of pocket

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

It wasn't a poke at you. That is a pic of another member's truck. Kinda of what made it funny.

Oh and Dogplow would say,

5c98fbd0e2006a2d03effa743f891c69.png

5. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

I didnt take pics at the scene (before you go on a rant I know i should have but damage wasnt that bad) I will have to snap a pic of the bumper on my tundra when I get the chance =D

6. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

glad no one was hurt. I have a question, simply because I dislike the term "black ice" as ice is clear.

If we are on concrete can we still call it black ice? :dizzy:

7. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

depends...is the concrete black? I think the reason its called black ice (atleast on asphalt) is because when its ice you only see the black asphalt i guess...

8. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

If it looks wet out, turn off your radio if you don't hear rain hitting your car, it's not raining it's ice,

I learned this when I was a kid, I actually heard the rain and then nothing as my car slid sideways, I was lucky enough to regain control learning to do burnouts as a kid helped when drifting lol

Even got a thumbs up from the guy following me for a job well done lol

9. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

What's the cost of repair vs cost of insurance increase for a couple years

10. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

Because im only 19 the insurance markup would be pretty hefty...Im not sure of the exact numbers off the top of my head but its cheaper to pay out of pocket

11. birddseedd

What I'd the price of the repair? I made a claim recently. Sure my insurance will go up 600 a year over the next 2 years. But they have me a 3200 check

12. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If you had commercial insurance it would be a negligible price increase.

13. birddseedd

That's because they are already charging 200a month more

I'm still getting quotes

14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Call Auto-Owners, or find an independent agent that will shop around.

Our Commercial liability, insurance for two trucks, a wheel loader, pusher box, work comp, and 30k in rental coverage is only around $400.00/month.

Also have had 2 claims in 7 years. Once where we had a boulder get away from us on the dump, thus tearing it up. They cut us a check and a shop re-built it. Another was when we backed into a mini-van in the dump (not hurting the truck) in a shopping center. Barely made any price difference.

Commercial insurance has the expectations that an accident will happen, especially if you have multiple equipment. Keep with private insurance, and it keeps going up every time you have a claim. Then you'll be paying more in the long run.

15. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I've never approved of the term "black ice." Ice is ice. When it is cold out, and when there is precipitation (occurring or in the past), everyone needs to drive with extra precaution.

Good for you that no one was injured and there was nominal damage.

16. birddseedd

Auto owners dies my home and liability. They do progressive for auto. Their price war note than progressive directly.

17. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

What?!?

I cannot understand any one of your sentences.

18. birddseedd

Auto owners does my home and liability. They use progressive for auto coverage. Their price was more than progressive directly.

19. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

wow I wish it was the same for tickets! two years ago i got a speeding ticket in the truck and then i had a dumb@ss moment and forgot to have my vehicle inspected on time a few months later... well when i went to renew my commercial auto in my pickup this year my yearly premium DOUBLED.

edit: i just checked and it actually went up by 3.5x. i asked them why and they said from those two tickets. i ended up switching to geico commercial and it was only a little higher than previously

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  20. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I give a sarcastic Thumbs Up to du_mbas_ses who lose control *all of the time*.