1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

springs will not thighten up

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by f250man, Sep 13, 2007.

1. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I installed new springs and they will not spread apart to give it any tension. They are still very sloppy. They say you should be able to put a piece of paper between each coil but mine wont spread. Any help would be helpful. Steve

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do you mean that you ran out of threads on the eye bolts before you got the springs correctly set?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you have to throw a couple of washers on,but check the springs first.

4. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

if you ran out of thread and the springs never opened you better check the hinge pins down holding the a frame i bet there wore out and the plow has shifted back some, just an idea to check out.

5. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

They said there are stops that are wore out I welded in new ones and still the same results. I guess I will try new pivot pins next. I did run out of thread on the eye bolts.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The pivot pins might help but usually it's the pin holes, which are the 2 pieces of round tubing that the pins are in are usually what gets worn out.They will actually become oblong and cause a lot of slop at the pivot point. Also, look at the front of your moldboard just in front of the sector, many time the moldboard will have a slight outward dent all the way across where the moldboard has been bent back from the repeated action of returning from a forward trip. If it's bent back too far then the springs will appear to be too long, also very common on a Meyer blade...

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Looks like you will have the blade you have for sale. Or is it the one?