1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Springs or Airbags?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sledhead, Nov 28, 2001.

1. sledhead

sledhead Member

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the "T" and the "V" coded front springs are?
    I currently have the "T" code, The truck has the "camper pkg."
    Someone earlier said that the camper pkg. has the "X" code springs, but that is not so.
    I just called my Ford dealer to find out how much "V" code front springs would be for the new F-250. (I dont want the ride in the summer to jar my teeth loose)
    $150.00 ea.
    How much are the Timbren airbags?
    What kind of weight will they support?
    Keep in mind that I have the 5.4 V8 in a supercab shortie.
    I want to be sure that I am not going to overload the front with the new plow.
    I've pretty much decided on the Western 8ft. Pro Poly blade with an Ultra mount system so Im looking at about 750 lbs. of weight.
    How much ballast do you guys use in the bed if you are not salting?

I know, you guys are thinking, "Jeese, new guy, chill out, one question at a time"

I just want to do it RIGHT the first time, Thats all.

Let it snow...................................Sledhead.

2. sledhead

sledhead Member

Ok. Whats up? 30 people have checked this thread and no one has given me the time of day on it.
    Is this my initiation to the site?
    Or does no one have an answer to my questions.
    I thought I could get some help from you "vetrans" but I guess I'll just have to play the trial and error game.

3. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Sorry that I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but you might try posting it up in the plow section, to get a few more people (probably chevy and dodge guys) to look at it.

MT

4. newtosnow

newtosnow Junior Member

I know airbags for a Dodge are $140/pr, easy to install. I added an extra leaf to my front rack, and is ok even in the summer, and went with helpers on rear, for when my sanders loaded. As far as spring codes for a Ford go....cant help ya!!

5. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

sledhead ,

Take a few deep breaths..............Ahhhh............Feel better now?

:)

Don't take it personally. Sometimes people just like to look!

Now, the springs that come with certain factory "packages" are different between V8, V10, and PSD. If you look at your door jamb sticker, I bet it says your FGAWR is 4400 lbs. if you have T code front springs. The wieght rating on the different spring codes are as follows:

T- 4400 lbs
    U- 4800 lbs
    V- 5200 lbs
    W-5600 lbs
    X- 6000 lbs

Your front axle(as long as it's a 4x4) is good to 5200 lbs. There is no cost difference between the different codes when buying the at the parts counter. By the way, $150 is a little steep. You should be able to get them for $110-$130. The V's should work pretty good for you and I doubt they would be "teeth jarring" stiff. Another thing to consider is you will probably gain 1"-2" of lift when changing to heavier springs. So you may or may not need to raise the rear.

I don't know about the Timbren Airbags. I do have some Monroe Muscle's on mine that help when carrying my plow.

Now my trucks a PSD, but here is my config.

8.5 Western V(880lbs), X front springs and Add-a-leafs, carry 500-700 lbs of ballast behind the rear axle.

Hope this helps;)

Greg

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

SledHead.. Welcome to the site...

OK... The Timbren are not air bags.... They are some special concoction of rubber that are actually springs.. They dont' do anything unless the truck is loaded and then when it's loaded they contact the axle and take the stress off the stock springs and axle... They absorb shok and increase weight capacity... I would try those first instead of going threw all the trouble and expense of changing springs... Sound s like I have a similar set up to you .. F250 HD ... I added add a leafs up front. I dont know off hand what spring code i have, but They were the heavier ones avail for the truck... Not that bad of a ride..

Shocks..... The factory shocks are usually gas pressurized... They are pretty siffining... Try replaceing the front shocks with some aftermarket nitrogen charged , like skyjacker Nitros. that s' what I used in mine... a little smoother...

Good luck..

7. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

FYI for what its worth, just put air lift 1000 air bags in my 90 f250, 62.00 kinda easy, we'llsee if it will work
    Regards
    Tim
    Atco, NJ
    RCIPLOW

8. sledhead

sledhead Member

Whew....... Thanks ...........A few deep breaths and I do feel much better.

This is the kind of info I was looking for.
    Thanks a 3/4 ton.

Sledhead.