1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spring Turf Repair

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by theguynextdoor, Feb 4, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I have this in my contract for plowing as I'm sure everyone else does. Do you guys just throw some soil and seed down? Put stakes adn rope around the area so it doesn't get trampled? Does anyone put sod down? I only have a few small dammaged areas at the ends of driveways where I pile the snow. I see some houses with other plowers that have some major grass dammage.

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

well actually i am most likely just gonna put some seed down. i mean y replace soil ur just gonna remove the next year???

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I will take the sod that was removed with my plow and replace it where it came from as best as I can and then fill in what is left over with soil and seed.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I took the will repair damage out of the contract. And put in not responsible for minor damage.

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

We piece the existing sod back into place the best we can, then patch with new soil and reseed the soil & overseed the replaced sod. It normally works well for repairing turf damage from plowing, if it's major I would use sod (we have never had major damage however)

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I like grandviews Idea, that way they will pay u to fix it :D

7. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I'll second that. You guys repair lawn damage? Major divits maybe, but otherwise, its the cost of having your driveway plowed. I'd be happy to come fix it, but I get paid for it.

8. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Most of the driveways I plow are my grass cutting customers also so I fix what I tear up. Mid season non-regular plow customers that flag me down and those that do not want stakes on the edges of their drives are on their own though. One time a customer ran over my plow stakes mid season, snow on the ground. He put them back but stuck them into the snow about a foot away from where I had them. Next storm there was a long strip of sod removed. He did understand the reason it happened and put the pieces back himself in the spring.[​IMG][​IMG]

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I will do major damage, but otherwise I will bill it if it wasn't caused by my plow, there is one place I do that someone slid off the road and went into the grass. I told them I would fix it but it would cost them.

10. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I put my small Hydro seeder in the back of one of the trucks and do Drive-by seedings.

Peterbilt

11. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

LOL

Listen up !!!!
    "If you pay your bill, i'm going to wait till your sleeping and driveby seed your yard !!!!!

12. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Large chunks get put back. Most of the time the damage is just scrapping off the top and the grass comes back on its own. Fixing the tracks from the guy that drove across their yard on a slide off will cost them however.

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We aren't responsible for fixing anything. If we cause a big spot to be damaged we will throw some seed down. I tell the customer if they don't want us to tear up any grass then they need to stand out there while we plow and to show me where the edge of the drive is when there is 6" of snow covering everything. No one has stood out there yet....:D

14. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Professional plow operater - not responsible for damage incurred while flying around cleaning driveways...:dizzy:

15. go plow

go plow Senior Member

its in my contract, i dont pay for any damage to the lawn, or to the drive, not my fault its all cracked and old, or its stone,and didnt freeze!
    i had a lady that parks her car on her lawn near her front door so she didnt have to walk far in the snow, well come spring there was no lawn, she wanted me to reseed her whole lawn, i told her before i dropped the plow the first storm that this would happen, it went to court,judge laughed at her and told her that she should have thought more about what could happen if she had her front lawn plowed and not worried so much about what would be convienient for her at the time!

16. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

If i dont get the 50.00 for stakes then im not responsible for your grass. Im a full service comp so i dont take just plow my drive. If i dont get all the work i dont take any of it

17. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Good customer service continues AFTER the season is over. You have a commitment to your customers to provide GREAT service, not BAD service. If you are worring about a couple dollars worth of sod to repair some turf damage that "YOU" did, then you need to rethink your customer service ethics. Charging your customers for damage that YOU did is a crime in its self...think about people....we are all trying to project a good image of the service we provide.....now go out and provide that "Excellent" service, make those customers happy and this in its self will provide the rewards you are striving for.

BTW...each spring we go to all of our accounts and assess what turf damage was done ( hey we are not perfect either ) then go get some sod rolls, prep the soil and install some new truf for our "VALUABLE" customers.

payup

18. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we have it setup in the contract where you can buy the stakes from us for cost. we will put them where needed for us to do the drive right. any damage on a driveway b/c you didnt want stakes we are not responsable for. if it has stakes and we damage the grass or whatever we will fix at no cost to the customer.

19. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

Me too... They can pay me to fix it if they want...

20. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

theres no way i'm shoveling rocks for anyone or fixing any grass...i have a truck with a plow, they hired me, it happens.

on the other hand, if the plow customer is also a lawn mowing customer, i usually just take care of it.