1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spring Tension

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ajordan193, Feb 26, 2015.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Just wondering if there is a spec on how tight the 4 blade trip springs on a vxt are supposed to be? Also with the return springs?

2. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

3. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on what would be 1/32 thick to get a good measurement?

4. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Credit cards are 0.030" thick, which is close to 1/32"
    Otherwise get a feeler gauge.

5. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I've always been told to use a sheet of paper. Adj tensions until there is enough of a gap between the spring coils to slide a piece of paper in between.

6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

We adjust ours by sliding a business card through the spring coils. When it fits, it's perfect.

7. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I use a business card as well for spring adjustment.

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Boss has there specs as stated above - trip springs we do put tension on them but not the return springs.

I personally don't like the plow slamming back when the springs are set to spec, we leave them just loose enough that you can wiggle the spring some, blade still comes back plenty fast enough, just no bang.

9. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments