1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spring tension

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bandit_36, Jan 4, 2001.

1. bandit_36

bandit_36 Junior Member

I live in Nebraska & we have had a lot of drifting snow this year & the drifts are hard as rocks. I have a 712ft. western plow with 3 trip springs & I mainly use it to plow my 12mile gravel lane. I have tightened the trip springs twice now & am still having problem with the plow triping,sliding over the drift & leaving me & my truck in the middle of the damn thing. Now this is more than a little annoying. How tight is too tight? Have you ever had your wife help pull you out? Enough said.

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I also have a Western 71/2 foot, I was told to tighten the springs only until the springs start to serparate.

Hope this helps.

3. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

you could always weld on another bracket and add another trip spring - has worked for me in the past...

4. Larrytow

Larrytow Junior Member

Are you plowing with the blade straight or angled? With hard packed drifts I use almost full angle and run the leading end into the drift. This busts them up better.Your spring tension is right; tighten till the coils just part far enough to slip a business card through them. Also, on a Western, the blade will trip too easy if your a frame is not paralel with the ground. IE truck mount too high or low. This is a common problem with lifted trucks.

Regards, Larry

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well as a matter of usage, if your blade is tripping what seems to be a unordinary amount of times, that is because you are over working your plow. What I am saying is that if the plow is tripping trying to bust up those drifts, then get a machine that is better equiped to do so. A v plow will work reasonably well, however a machine with a loader will be better equipped to handle that type of removal.
    Dino