1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spring/Summer Project: Coil Sprung SAS

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by JohnnyU, Aug 13, 2008.

1. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I don't post over here much, but thought this might be of interest to some guys as I haven't seen many swaps like this. This is being copied and pasted, so I hope it flows well.....

I got the 14FF for free, but then dropped some coin on it rebuilding and adding some bling:
    [​IMG]

Installed a shackle flip kit from ORD, along with some extended shackles and 2wd leaves (i'm going to have to add another leaf or two, they are much too soft as they are right now)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I removed the mechanical fan and installed a Taurus fan, as well as replumbed the brakes to eliminate the crappy ABS and stock prop valve since I went with rear discs. I still have to remove the stock air cleaner and fabricate up a snorkel....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I started stripping down the front end:
    [​IMG]

Removed the IFS brackets and cross member, welded in some 1.75"x0.125" tube for a new crossmember:
    [​IMG]

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Drilled and tapped steering box:
    [​IMG]

I'm running a 3-link with track bar. Johnny's at the frame and bushings at the axle:
    [​IMG]

I've also got another cover from Great Lake Offroad that will have an integrated Hydraulic ram mount.

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I cut all the old brackets off the D60, cleaned up the tubes, removed the stock kingpin cap and steering arm and installed the spring-less cap and high-steer arm from PartsMike. I also started getting the coil bucket welded up and tacked to the frame. The top will also be plated. I know the coils won't be captured at the top, but since I'm planning to use a limiting strap I don't think it will be a problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The transmission cross member is about 80% finished. I may still need to clearance part of it for the driveshaft, but we'll have to wait and see. I also used the ever-so-exact method of mocking up the location of the links (duct tape), measuring the distance out from the center of the truck to the centerline of the links both at the axle and the cross member ends.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I bolted the transmission crossmember in place for measuring and positioning link brackets. I think I need a taller jack:
    [​IMG]

I got the spring mount/link brackets tacked to the axle:
    [​IMG]

Then measured for and started fabricating the links:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got one of the links primed and painted, the other will have additional tabs welded on for the top link to mount to. I'm waiting on another order of parts from Ballistic now.....

7. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

You were right, I am interested in seeing this.

I use that jack too and cinderblocks and wood come in handy, but it's a good jack.

Nice looking welds, I'm hoping to learn to weld soon.

8. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Wow thats cool.....nice little summer project!:rolleyes:

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

cant wait to see the finished product!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good Johnny. SAS aren't new to me as I've done several (2 leafs and 3 coil/ 4 link setups). What size tire you going to run? Gonna run hydro assisted steering? I see the truck is already equipped with a body lift and with the suspension mods will be pretty tall.

Where are you planning to attach the third link? Just curious as I don't recommend placing all three links on the trans cross member unless you add more "bite" to the cross member/frame attaching points.

The adjustable circle track style spring pockets are a super wise investment. :nod:

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'm going to run a 35.8x11 Bogger.

The body lift was installed several years ago and may end up being removed.

It's actually not three separate links. It's two radius arms (similar to Ford style) and a panhard bar. The driver side link will have mounts for a top link to mount in the upper position in the axle bracket. It's similar to running a wristed radius arm. I considered building a 4-link with full hydraulic steering, but in the end decided that it would be both more simple and give me similar performance using this style suspension. Yes, the steering box was drilled and tapped to power a hydraulic assist ram mounted to the axle.

I also really liked the idea of using the weight jacks. They give me just a little bit extra adjustability.

12. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Very cool, great project, can't wait to see more!:redbounce

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Gotcha. Fixed front radius arm style three link. Got any ideas for coils? 4" or 6" lift F-150 TTB coils work sweet on a custom swap. Soft enough for good articulation/travel but firm enough to hold a small block with ease.

Limiting straps theoretically will hold the spring in the pocket but the problem I've found is you need to factor in enough travel/movement as the straps stretch quite a bit like a rubber band. So basically you need to limit the suspension droop travel more than actually necessary to allow room for the strap to "give", and using up more of your wanted/needed suspension travel in the process. Fortunately in your case your spring pockets are nice and deep so there's much less likelihood of the spring coming out. Could still simply add a retainer tab to the spring pad/plate (in the pocket) to mechanically lock the spring in place...just for good measure.

Definitely a benefit come final ride height time.

Don't know your full intentiones with this truck but have you considered incorporating a set of jounce bumpers at least on the front (like a trophy or desert truck would use)? If you plan some air time they're definitely an asset.

14. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

LOOKING GOOD JOHNNY :nod:I MYSELF HAVE HELPED A FEW FRIENDS DO THIS AS WELL AND CCANT WAIT TO SEE THE FINISHED PRODUCT :DKEEP US POSTED N GOOD LUCK:drinkup:

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I have been out of town for a bit and have also been extremely busy with other projects, so here is a little update:

Tie-rod, yes I hang stuff from a tree for painting....
    [​IMG]

Driver side upper and lower links hanging in the garage to dry:
    [​IMG]

Frame end track bar mount, I left a can of primer sitting on the truck, and my girlfriend left me a surprise....
    [​IMG]

Axle end track bar mount. It's missing the axial brace tube section as well as some additional material around the mounting area:
    [​IMG]

16. Misch-Rman

Misch-Rman Member

nice work johnny looking good bud

17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Painted the transmission cross member today:
    [​IMG]

No, that's not Fisher or Meyer yellow. :rolleyes:

I also welded all of the brackets to the axle this afternoon. Just have to figure out shock placement at some point, and the hydraulic ram mount and the axle will be ready to paint also.

18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Update 9/12/2008:

I replaced the oil pan the other night due to rust, then welded all the brackets to the axle, cleaned up, painted, and finally slid it back under the truck and bolted everything back up last night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

this thing's going to be a monster. keep the pics coming, nice work

20. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

You still have the ranger?