1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spring return v plow questions

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by powerstrokesnow, Jan 13, 2014.

1. powerstrokesnow

powerstrokesnow Junior Member

I have an older model hiniker v plow a spring return I believe they are called? Every time I Hite a pile of snow the wing just pushes back, any ideas how to fix that? Can I lock the cylinder out somehow? Also this plow does not have much down pressure, it seems like it just wants to lift over the snow if its slightly packed down at all? Any fixes for that? And lastly it doesn't appear to have a center rubber shoe like my western does? I need to replace the cutting edges so am I going to need to get anything special or can I just have blades made like I do for my western? Thanks for the help in advance!

2. powerstrokesnow

Is anyone worked on one of these?

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Boss offer a locking rams I don't know Hiniker does but you could see if Boss Rams would fit

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

How easily the wings push back is controlled by the relief valve. If one pushes back much more easily than the other, that particular relief valve is set improperly or has failed. The relief valves should be labeled RV1 and RV2 on the valve block. If you can pressure test them they should relieve at 2700psi. Otherwise pick-up a new one at your dealer.

The lack of a center cone (cast steel) would likely make the plow more likely to ride up on packed snow. Installing a new one when you do the cutting edges would be recommended. The cutting edges are nothing special other than the combination angles that they are cut at in the center, so you should be able to have them made if you still have the old ones as templates. 6" tall will match a new center cone casting.

5. powerstrokesnow

thank you for the info I am getting new cylinders and is it possible to run the one piece blades on these plow I see them and they look like they are the best option but don't know if they will work on these plows

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If you're asking if you can run a straight blade with the mount and controller then yes.

I don't think the problem is with your cylinders. I think bliz&hnikerDLR gave you the answer your looking for. It is not uncommon for one or both wings to push back when pushing not piles.

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Pretty sure he was asking if he can use the new style cutting edge that doesn't use the center puck.