1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spring rate concern-code

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kurtandshan, Sep 28, 2010.

1. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

OK I found this tag on my front springs and now I am a bit concerned. It has these numbers :5c34 5ag 5310-sgb I found a code chart on a Ford truck site says this is a 4400# spring. Seems a tad light for a Super duty crew cab with a tow package etc? Any one with any thoughts or help?

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Definitely not the plow prep package. The plow prep usually has 5200lb springs and even those aren't all that great. I just ordered a set of 6000lb springs yesterday for my 06f250

3. kurtandshan

If I need to upgrade, does anyone know a good place to find springs?

4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I have those on my CC/SB 02. They carried a 7' 6" well enough. But now that I am getting a V, I upgraded to the "X" code springs, which are rated at 6000 lbs., but only brings your FGAWR up to 5200 , for the 99-04 year.

Now I see you have an 07, but the question is, do you have a diesel? If you have a diesel, you get a 6k spring again, but it also raises the FGAWR to 6000, but only on the diesel. Gas engines only go to 5200 or sometimes with a long bed, 5600. Also bear in mind, that with a diesel, a plow prep pack consisted of a higher rated alt., a revised fan clutch, and springs.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  5. kurtandshan

I've got a 5.4. Called the dealer and they said I'll be fine with what I have. I am a bit leary of this so I am going to look into stiffer springs. Will the stiffer springs increase ride height (W/O plow) noticably? Because I appear to be pretty level as it sits now.

6. kurtandshan

Looking at the official ford.com parts catalog "X" code springs are only 4000#, I can't find my part number even on there. 6000# springs are code "C" and 6500# are code "B" The last three letters on my springs are AGB. Cant find that anywhere in the list. I am back to seeing how the truck sits/squats once I get the plow on and going from there.

PInky demon: I may be wrong but like I said, the Ford.com official parts catalog has "x" series as 4000# part# F81A-5310-ACD.Code "X" $68.67 and 6000# F81A-5310-AHD Code "C" $98.30

7. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Code X is for the plow prep leaf springs for trucks no older than MY '04.

Code C is for the plow prep coil springs for trucks MY '05 to '10.

I haven't looked into what MY '11 has for spring codes.

Spring codes stated are for diesel motors.

Just my .02¢

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  8. kurtandshan

Thanks after I posted I looked again below 04 no coil springs were listed. Figures because they didn't have coil springs. It's nice tha parts numbers are so simple!!! Not!

9. Brian Young

I just talked to a buddy of mine who is a Ford tech foreman, he said its an easy swap and no new shocks or any other "special things" just swap them out. Its been awhile since Ive done any spring swap out but I'm just taking mine to the dealer, I just dont have the time vs. the cost of some one else doing it. You MIGHT gain an inch or so but your also eliminating a good amount of sag.

10. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Less than an hour job to swap out coil springs.

For someone with only a floor jack and air tools, I'd say 90 minutes or less.

just my .02¢

11. kurtandshan

Thanks for the info! I think I found a plow today so I'll see how it goes

12. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Yeah, the below poster is right. I forgot they changed things when the went to coil sprung front ends in 05.

13. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

What size plow? I would not run anything over roughly 700 lbs. on a 4400. Install the C codes and run with it. I don't think you would pick up too much lift, if anything it would just level the truck out, but I'm not sure.

14. kurtandshan

8.2 boss v is what I'm looking at. I'll am leaning towards swapping springs

15. Brian Young

Just a thought, If your front springs are that "small" in carrying capacity you most likely dont have the plow prep and might want to look into a bigger alt. BUT.....if you have A/C you'll be ok then, Ford uses the bigger alt. when they install A/C.

16. kurtandshan

Have a/c and the truck was a sheriff's dept patrol vehicle in it's former life was ordered with the big alternator.

17. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

The plow prep would not net you a bigger alt on the gas engines. That was only for the diesel. I looked at the specs of my 02, which BTW is leaf sprung in the front OP, and AllData claimed it was rated at 130. If you are going to get a 8' 2" V, you will need the C code plow prep springs, just be aware that it will result in ride comfort degradation.

For the 8' 2", are you looking at VXT or no? Poly or steel?

18. kurtandshan

Regular steel v-plow

19. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Okay, just throw C codes on there and have at it. Good luck. :waving:

20. kurtandshan

Yup, all need is snow!!! Ok and the actual plow mounted to my truck!!!