1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spring help please

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by oldscoot, Aug 7, 2002.

1. oldscoot

oldscoot Junior Member
    from midwest

Hi there please help me..i have a 1987 chevy 4x4 long bed 350 tbi
    auto . it has 6 inches of lift on it with 35 in. tires.
    Rear suspen. has 4 inch block and 2 inch traction lift..
    Front has different spings and 2 inch traction lift..
    Truck came with all lift done. I would like to go back to near stock or stock height..

Problem is i need springs .. i have the opportunity to have get a 1987 GMC Jimmy fullsize 4x4 for dirt cheap. Will the springs from the jimmy fit or do i still have to find new front springs for my truck?? Any info will greatly help..

phmtech@attbi.com with answers please

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The rear springs you have now are beefier than Jimmy springs. You can buy a set of new front springs for about $300. Consider this, the Jimmy springs have 15 years of fatigue on them already. If it was me I'd buy new springs. If you need other parts, the Jimmy still would be a good idea. I just wouldn't use the springs even though they would fit. Also, you will need a stock steering arm, since you now have one for a 6" lift. The one from the Jimmy will fit. You will also need 4 new shocks, since yours are for a 6" lift. You will need to replace (or modify) you brake lines, as they should have been modified for the 6" lift.

~Chuck