1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spring broke

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gc3, Feb 2, 2013.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I was plowing earlier with my 3 year old boss vxt and noticed the right wing wasn't retracting. After looking at it I noticed the spring was broke on one end and hanging there and the bolt for the other end was bent. What would cause the bolt to bend and the spring to break like that? Thanks
  2. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Thats actually quite normal..(well it happens to mine)
    The bolts are cheap, Under pressure and in a frigid cold environment at all times so.....

Just replace it, Make sure you dont over tighten it and keep plowin'!
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Normal When you replace dont over tighten Use a card stock paper set the spring the paper should just slide in between the coils
  4. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I didn't know it happens alot. I would figure the bolt would break before the spring would but not in this case. Thanks
  5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Would it do any damage to the plow or cylinders if you finished plowing without that spring on it.

TJSNOW Senior Member

No..........Grab 2 Springs and a couple of eyebolts when you go to the Boss dealer...Install one spring and throw the other one behind the seat....You will need it sooner or later...:nod:
  7. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Happen to me last year, Watch the spring fly threw the air, so happy it didn't hit a parked car. I carry a back up spring in the truck.
  8. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yea I'm gonna get a extra to keep in the truck. The dealer said the wing springs break often when it gets around 10 degrees and stressed enough. When I bought the plow he said I would never need a extra spring. I guess he was wrong.

TJSNOW Senior Member

Plow salesman will tell you what ever you want to hear so they can sell you a plow.......:nod:
  10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I've been plowing for almost a week w/ a broken return spring. Haven't had the time to go to the dealer. As often as I break them, I decided I might as well use the box full of old Myer & Western springs sitting in the garage...just need an eye bolt that's about an inch longer.
  11. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Some guys wrap a steel wire around/ through their spring in the event that it does break it wont go anywhere....

With that being said, I was plowing a HOA (streets) and i had a spring break an go through a second story window and land on the bed! They never found out whose spring it was...
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You mean like this?:D

boss plow broken spring.jpg

boss plow broken spring2.jpg
  13. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

I had a return spring break when I tripped my plow hard...forgot about that damn rock in the middle of the lane in a factory lot. It broke at the bend in the spring and bent up the bracket a bit on the other side. I had a spare spring in stock so no biggie. In a pinch you could steal one of the trip springs I suppose.

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

I put a 2 " ***** link between the spring and eyebolt leaving the spring loose when in v , have not broke one since.