1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spring and cable on exv

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by oldmankent, Oct 15, 2012.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I bought my 9.5 exv used. It is a pain in the butt when I try to bump the plow up slightly and the piston has been pulled down by the spring. Should I just take it off? Does it prevent the headgear from falling down when the plow is off the truck?

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i took mine off it is a pain in the a$$ i just made up a little chain to go from the plow to the headgear when removing it

3. oldmankent

Ok. I'll give a look and see what I can come up with. I'm assuming the chain prevents the headgear from falling away from the plow.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

yes just a short piece with 2 hooks

5. oldmankent

you carry it in the truck or can you leave it on the plow?

6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

The cable drops the lift arm down to put slack in the chain so when you take the plow off, you dont have to put the control in float and push the lift arm down manually.

7. oldmankent

Yeah. That's what I don't like about it.

8. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

The point of it is to help the plow stay on thee ground better, for instance if you are going along a lot and there is a dip in the pavement the plow will hold the ground, if you don't have it when you get to the dip the blade has to pull the cylinder down which is slower usually causing the plow to rise off the ground for a second because it didn't get down quick enough because there is no slack in the chain because the cylinder stoped going down as soon as the blade hit the ground. As soon as you tap the up button it will stop it from pulling it down because it will no longer be in float. If you need to Raise the blade up slightly you have to tap up a couple of times to get the slack out of the chain before it lifts from the ground. Believe me the spring is a good thing, I have actually fabbed one up for my older plow that didn't have a spring. If your plow will not disengage from float there is a problem with the plow

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  9. oldmankent

I understand what your saying, but I don't agree. The weight of the plow is going to overcome the piston in float mode. Lots of plows that don't use chain lifts operate this way. And they don't seem to have a problem. Maybe you need to adjust your drop speed if you are having this problem. I've literally pushed snow like three times with my exv 9.5 and having to hit the up button a bunch of times just to bump the plow up slightly on gravel or something drove me nuts.