1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spring adjustment

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by leigh, Nov 2, 2013.

1. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Anyone ever try to tighten the springs on 810 wings. Whats the best way to get in there? Do the springs twist when you try to turn nuts? Thanks

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Leigh, I have a 8611LP pre DD. I don't know if it's similar in design to yours but I would think so. I tightened my box springs last season because the drivers side actually came out of the hole the spring goes into at the wing. I just raised the plow and did it from underneath where the eye bolt and nut are on the outer side of the slide box in the middle of the plow. Not easy to get to but do-able. The spring will not twist. Dont go too tight or you'll be braking springs. If yours is different than mine, just disreguard everything you just read.

3. leigh

from CT

Thanks. Sounds like the same layout. I tried to loosen trip springs and let the plow lay forward so I could get to the nut , but they wouldn't loosen easily. I'll try from underneath. thanks

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is it A predd plow?

5. leigh

from CT

Yes it is, bought in 2006.That's why it's still going strong!

6. dieselss

That's tight. Just looking at mine. Might just be easier to pull the wing and box out

7. WIPensFan

No, that's not easier. I used an air socket wrench and a deep well socket. Make sure to use jack stands under the plow when crawling under there.

8. dieselss

Well, I have never tried to do it while in the plow so I can't answer myself. But my questions are. Why are you adjusting the springs? You dont take your boxes out and clean and grease every year and tighten the springs then?

9. WIPensFan

No, I don't do that. When I did have them apart I Fluid Filmed the crap out of everything inside there. It's good you do it if you have the ambition.

10. dieselss

Ambition, or fear of breaking or a seized wing pin. With 5 blizzards and me being the sole mechanic, I can't afford for anything to break or seize in the middle if a snow storm

11. leigh

from CT

Never noticed that they were adjustable! I replaced both angle cylinders and welded a crack in edge of rib near slidebox.Noticed wing was a little lose. I usually just wash after each event and pb blast in there.Never thought to remove whole box,looked like a pain and never saw that as part of maintenance.Live and learn.