1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreading Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brad3403, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Anyone have any suggestions on what can be done so that I can tell that my spreader is actually spreading while running straight salt thru it. I've got lights on the underside of the deck shining back but with straight salt it is still very hard to tell that it is actually spreading anything. Back-up camera maybe??? Better place to position lights??? My spreader chute sits pretty low to the ground, maybe thats part of the problem.
  2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I spent $345 on a color camera, best thing I ever did, I can see very well how its spreading and when it doesnt, I can try to upload a picture
    Absolutely the BEST money spent,IMOpayup
    It actually saves me money
  3. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Do you have a link to the camera or model number and such?
  4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Mount your lights so they are facing almost to the right and left of the back of your truck. I build a guard around my spreader and mount that on the bumper, incase I slide backwards into a loading bay. *I also put reverse lights facing straight back on the guard and are activated when truck is shifted into reverse gear. (Sometime I cheat and mix a lil sand in with the salt and it highlights the spread area.
  5. deicepro

heres the cam

6. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

What brand is that or where did you buy it ? That looks like a nice setup.
  7. deicepro

Cabcam made by a&i products, bought it from the mechanic who DOT'ed my truck, I love it, the first storm after I used it I immediately went and bought one for the other trucks. I have to drop 40 ton tonight, I will see if I can get a picture of the screen as I am spreading
  8. procut

procut Senior Member

Huh, interesting camera setup. Personally, I just roll down the window and listen. I know exactly what the spreader sounds like when it's spreading properly, if there is a problem I tell right away.