1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreading salt Manually

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Gusco, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

How many of you spread salt manually? You know with one of those push spreaders. Im curious as to the cost per bag. I currently do this and charge 10 bucks a bag to applly. It sucks this way but im still making money.

2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

It costs me around $35 to $40 an hour to send a guy out in truck, regardless of what he does. Add $5 a bag to the equation for salt cost. So how many bags can you spread in an hour by hand spreading? My guys can bring in over $150 an hour spreading salt. Can you spread 15 bags in an hour?

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I did last year and got $15.00 per bag, now i have a tailgate spreader and still charge $15.00 per bag cost per #80 bag is $4.33 thirty to a pallet.

4. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

Cool thanks for the input. I am defintly getting a spreader asap. Hopefully before the season is out.

5. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I was reviewing my guys salt log, and he put down an average of 10 bags an hour. I normally charge around $30 a bag. He definiately couldn't have done that much with a push spreader or by hand.