1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreading problem

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by saltheump, Feb 6, 2013.

1. saltheump

saltheump Junior Member

We have recently purchased a SP6000 SnowEx salt spreader. I am still having difficulty finding my way. We also have a SP225 SP325 and a SP1075. On all the spreaders except for the SP6000 the spinners seem to distribute the salt in a circular manner to both sides and rear distribution. However on the 6000 it only seem to throw the salt to the right with little to no salt going to the left unless the auger is completely wide opened and the spinner is wide opened. I have walked behind this unit to try to understand why but I am not seeing any difference or the spreading consistency of all the other spreaders which we own. Anyone have any suggestions on this and is there any manual out there to tell what numbers to dial in on the dual controller from 10 to 99 for the auger and spinner. If I have to leave the auger and spinner wide opened all the time my salt costs will go through the roof. There is an auger adjustment mine is opened all the way and if I close it down it just makes me believe I would get less salt going to the spinner. Can't figure this out for the life of me.

2. robtown

robtown Junior Member
    from NJ

We run an sp8500 with the dual controls and we run the auger between 55 to 60 and a spinner at 25.
    This usually covers one lane.
    Hope this helps.

3. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Try checking where the salt lands on the spinner as well. I have issues at times with my 8000 of it spreading heavy on the drivers side. Try adjusting the chute a little to get it to land on the spinner behind the spinner shaft, should help it get distributed to both sides a little better.

4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

It's all about the chute position and where it lands on the spinner as previously stated.

5. saltheump

saltheump Junior Member

Thank you for all your replies and suggestions I ended up adjusting the chute so the material drops more in the back and it is spreading more like it should but still not as good as it should but I have run out of room with the chute as it is as far back as I can move it and any more movement backwards will have the chute hitting the body of the spreader. It actually needs to be shorter so you can adjust it more towards the back. Snowex suggests you bend the piping that holds the chute but the piping is such a thin metal it would break with any pressure put to it. I believe this is a design flaw on their part for the model I have but alas my opinions will go unheard by the manufacturers.

6. jkac

jkac Junior Member

i think you need to move shaft of spinner up, it seems like you are hitting the bar ?

7. jkac

jkac Junior Member

have you tried moving spinner shaft up or down so it doesnt hit protector bar that goes around spinner ?
    we have a snow ex 8500 and the materiel flows best when it comes down the shute and hits the center of the spinner

8. saltheump

saltheump Junior Member

The material is definitely not hitting the protector bar or is the bar affecting the salt distribution at all.

9. jkac

jkac Junior Member

We also had that prob with a bent shaft.
    I would call snow ex
    There tech support is pretty decent
    Good luck man, sorry I couldn't help

10. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

had to get some new parts for our 9500 and we had to modify the chute, actually cut it, to get the salt in the right location... Snow Ex seems to think that the holes in the parts are only to hang tags for part #s on not for bolting together in the proper location. We are happy with the end result but maybe all they are overpriced salt shakers if all you do is re engineer the parts!

11. saltheump

saltheump Junior Member

Thank you for your input. I actually figured that I would just get another chute its only a piece of plastic and cut it to make it fit correctly till the dealer informed me that the chute was an $80 item. My employer is not to happy that we have to make adjustments to a brand new salter or cut something to make it work efficiently. It's nice to know that others have figured this out as well. Now all we have to do is convince the snow-ex people to take a better look at this problem and rectify it. I get so frustrated watching or following another truck with a salter on it and seeing the perfect CIRCULAR pattern it leaves same amount to each side and in back. Well maybe in a perfect world. Thanks again for your input.