1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreading on Sidewalks

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by r_d337, Nov 20, 2008.

1. r_d337

r_d337 Junior Member

We clear a lot of sidewalks with shovels and walk behind machines. In the past we have always salted the icy spots by hand. This year I have far to much sidewalk to even think about doing it that way. I was looking at getting a walk behind salt spreader for sidewalks. I currently have a really good fertilizer spreader with a 75 Ib. capacity, could this work? Also how do you keep the salt from spreading and going all over the street and snow bank? If I used my fert spreader it has a 10 ft spread width, I would have salt everywhere. How is this commonly done?
  2. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

I've seen guys take that thick rubber like what you would use on the top of your plow and wrap it around where the spinner is....so it will only spread as wide the spreader
  3. anolke

anolke Junior Member

What about using a drop seader instead of a broadcast seeder
  4. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

This works pretty well with calcium from our experience..you go through quite a bit,(MO) never tried with rock salt though. Believe this or not..my guys sometimes like to feed the chickens.
  5. hardscaper

hardscaper Member
    from usa

6. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

It's easy. Your fertilizer spreader should have a width adjustment. Simply set it accordingly. That works for us.
  7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

We use the epoke. Works great.
  8. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

You CAN use just about any ol' piece of junk (broadcast) spreader out there and just make a "skirt" to control your spread width.
    I've had good luck w/ a plain ol' Scotts fert. spreader.
    I wouldn't want to screw up my good spreader w/ salt, so I don't waste the money.
  9. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

We also do alot of sidewalks. I've bought spreaders with skirts, but our guys still like using a 5 gallon bucket and thier hands.