1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreading Magic Salt on walkways?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Marbleman, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

Has anyone tried spreading Magic salt with the new commercial Earthway spreaders?

Looking for a well made spreader with some durability at a reasonable price.

2. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I tried the Magic salt and found the salt particals too big for use on a walkway. They are more like small marbles.

3. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

I like marbles, infact I even collect them, but that is a whole other topic which I will not get into here.

I do want to use bulk magic for some sidewalks, Has anyone used the 125lb pro agri-fab walk behind?

How about any others that work well?

4. We use both. Just got the new earthway 2130 HO and it works quite well. I am just trying to adjust it to allow as little as possible to come out. I like it cause you can change the width real easy. Agrifab works great too but you can not over load it or it will tip...about the same price.

5. mtfd774

mtfd774 Member
    from conn

Hey MarbleMan, i used magik in a Meyer Hotshot spreader for sidewalks and as a backup for a small lot . Worked pretty well with no problems .I purchased one 2 years ago for 160 bucks. Well built

6. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

Racerbren, how much did you pay for your 2130? How much Magic does it hold? Do you have the deflectors?

7. I retail the spreaders but I have been selling them for $280+. They come with the side walk deflector as well and will hold a bit more than a 50lb bag. As a side note I plan to use it as a spreader for penn mulch for seeding.

8. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

My customers complained about the brown stuff that they track in from the magic. We had to stop using it.

9. CNYS, are you talking about the liquid? Treated salts I have never seen track liquid inside. Liquids, if not applied properly will track. If you apply liquid and it puddles it is being put on too much.We apply liquid on all our properties with out any complaints in 3 yrs. I also found the finer droplet the better. The battery powered sprayers are great. I have some pics I will try and attach.

P6211771.jpg

P6221775 (2).jpg

10. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Why would you apply sodium to concrete walks?

11. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

I was using the treated salt. Maybe we put it on a little heavy. They must have been getting the salt in the tread of their shoes and bringing it in.

That pic looks like a place in syracuse?

12. No, we took those pictures here in lovely Schenectady. We need some snow. You guys in Central NY have had a little, no?

13. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

Ya, we had 8-10 inches a couple weeks ago