1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jadyejr, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

Quick question, I am needing a spreader for this year. I have a short bed truck, so I'm not sure a v box would work, plus i like to have a tool box on my truck. Heres what I was thinking, and keep in mind that I need to carry a lot of salt: A large tailgate spreader, and carrying some salt in the back of my truck and either bagging it in, or just shoveling it in. I was thinking to use a tarp or some sort of container to keep the extra salt in.... The guy I'm working for this winter uses a lot of salt, and so I'm trying to minimize trips to get salt.

1. Whats the largest tailgate I can get?

2. Does anyone else use this method to salt?

2. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

i have a snow-ex 1075 tailgate spreader and it works good, no complaints. I would use bags salt though. Bulk is nothing but trouble in a tailgate spreader. Bags are nice cause you can leave them outside, but i store mine in an oversea's container.

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Tailgate salter with about a 750 lb capacity, any major brand you can get parts/dealer support from will do, ecspecially if your buying new.........Bulk salt works great in them, if you can keep it dry, which wont be accomplished by putting a tarp over it....plus it will ruin your truck FAST......I used to run a 3500 2wd 9ft flat bed w/ tailgate salter. It was a great salt only truck. We ran bagged & bulk. It was to much of a PITA worrying about the bulk in the bed. I kept it stored inside, but one time the heat went out and I was chopping the **** out of it so I could go salt....Luckily I always had bagged material on hand for it 2......I have hopes to add another tailgate spreader to my fleet next year for doing spot saltings....I wont being running anything but bagged rock salt through it if I do. Good Luck!!

4. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member