1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvm81, Oct 30, 2007.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Guys - tell me what is the best pick up mounted speader?

Poly / stainless?

Engine / electrical

Most lots are small to medium in size and reason for looking is we do alot of snow removal but never invested in a spreader. I have to call the competitor to snad my lots. He charges $75 / load. He has a stainless steel spreader and all we use in my area is sand.
  2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

everything about the spreader models is debatable. at $75 per load, it might be better to have the sub spread your sand?? your could make several $$ per load and not have to invest $$$ in a truck,driver, gas, and $3-5k spreader.
  3. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Sub man is also head of a small gravel pit that mines mostly fill sand which is what he uses.

Its just that he has many accounts that he does and when my customers call - Obviously I want to serve them as soon as possible - not wait for 1/2 day for him to show up.

In my area some guys claim they make more sanding than plowing??
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

There's alot of guys in alot of areas that claim they make more money salting / sanding than plowing. It all depends on what type of accounts / agreements you have.
  5. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

If you plan on using sand,that is going to eliminate a lot of the cheaper tailgate spreaders,as most will not spread it.If your going to go bulk salt you will need a place to store it and way to load it.I would talk to your sand guy and see if you can't get him to lots you need sanded a little sooner...You can't beat the price he is charging..
  6. drumbo

drumbo Member

I think the solution is easy. Tell him that when he gets your jobs done in a timely (urgent) manner, you will pay him $85-$95 per load...a little green goes a long way...and speaks everybody's language.

Maybe have a graduated scale...priority jobs $95...if he is behind, keep reducing his "bonus" until he bottoms out at the $75/load price...I bet he picks your accounts first.
  7. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have tried the bonus line with him last year and he was all for that but guess what - I was last on the list. We kinda clash once in a while with our accounts and his. His are bigger cuz he has a few Cat loaders with protech pushers and now he just bought a protech for his skid.
  8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i personally find it a little uncomfortable counting on someone else when my business is at stake...unless you just don't have any choice
  9. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

etreemd3 - exactly - it is my biz but just hestaite to go out and buy a 4K item for just my clients. I am leaning towards it but not 100% sure at this time.
  10. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

I just purchased a Fisher Polycaster with electric motor, to go with the new 8.6 XtremeV SS. This is my first year plowing commercial for myself. I plowed for another operator for the last two years, plus a few driveways with my own truck. His gas spreader never worked right (always hand start, choke & throttle problems) and is really rusty and looks awful. I agree with others that depending on others is not good, especially for business like banks or schools. I have both this year. I have another friend that said he would sand, but hasn't returned calls. And we don't have any snow yet.....I trusted my dealer that the Polycaster will work well. I hope to do enough sanding to pay for the unit this year.
  11. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have a hydraulic swenson v box in my 1 ton and a buyers tailgate spreader that both work great for using with sand. I used to sub it out, but it is alot easier doing it yourself and will pay off in no time. I prefer buying used spreaders and most of them will last forever for sometimes less than half the price of new.
    Last year for i did make more in sanding than i did plowing because of the light snows and ice storms we had. it good insurance to have one for the light winters we've been getting.