1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brad3403, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I'm looking for an Under Tailgate Spreader for a large, single axle dump truck. My salesman is trying to steer me away from electric. His reasoning is the truck alternator and battery is not able to keep up with the draw required to run the spreader. The cost to add additional hydraulics to run a hydraulic spreader would easily triple the cost of buying an electric spreader. Any thoughts from users of each would be appreciated.
    (I prefer to go with a tailgate spreader as opposed to a v-box due to capacity)

2. Kemer

Kemer Junior Member
    from NE PA.

You can get a heavy duty batt and alt.I did and it worked fine for many years

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

You might need a new salesman..Think about this..the electric Vboxes have to move tons of salt pressed down on a conveyor creating a huge amount of drag so i would think turning an auger and spinner should be childs play
    Steve
    PS is he working on commission? hehe