1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brad3403, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Is there any benefit to having a v-box spreader sitting on a couple of blocks rather than directly on the floor of the truck??
  2. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

YES!!! Easy to clean. Salt and sand build up under there. Seen a dump bed rot in two stright lines right under the spreader. A few 2x4's or C channel will work. I run mine front to back so sand will wash right out.
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Now do all chain driven v box spreaders lose material under the chain on the truck bed? I would think a little space under would be very helpful. Plus you can line x the truck bed and not have to worry about rotting out the bed to help when you cant get all of the salt out under there.
  4. paponte

paponte Senior Member

As posted, makes it easier to clean. Also helps when its very cold on the first start of the drag chain. I have seen chains get frozen to the material between the spreader and truck bed. Frees up easy, but if you can get to it and wash it out it's a plus in my book.
  5. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

pretty much all v boxes do that with material under them. I pull them every now and then and clean under them.
  6. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I used to put mine on deck boards, but saw no point in it. I need all the view I can get from my back window. I don't lose any material under my salter. Only thing it does it scratch the shitt out of the bed. But if I was worried about that, I would have put a liner in it.
  7. stargazer

stargazer Member

I plow rough up and down gravel roads with ditches. When you get stuck, pretty hard to get sand out of a V box, tarped down and the grates on top.

Real EASY and quick to get sand for your own wheels by sliding a shovel under the sander between the blocking. I also do this to spot sand where I don't want to shoot sand with the spreader.

As mentioned, you can clean out under there when you know it's going down to 25 degrees below zero.

Edit: Oh yeah, I have flat beds on cab/chassis, so the shoveling is easy. I don't own pickups.