1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by turfguy, Sep 8, 2003.

1. turfguy

turfguy Member

is there a tailgate mounted spreader that will work well with sand\salt mix? I have several customers that need a small amount of ice control and I cant justify the cost of a full blown spreader:confused: any thoughts or advice???

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Last edited: Sep 8, 2003
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Mick. Fisher SpeedCaster 2 or Western ProCaster 2 two stages spreaders should do the job. Also they are our new sponsors of Plowsite. ;)

4. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

The new SnowEx 1875 SandPro 2 stage will do it better!;)

Can you say Viiiibbbbrrraaattteeeerrrrrr?

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Don't forget the Air-Flo MSS.It's small,light,and easy to load bulk with a shovel due to it's low height.It's all stainless too.

airflo mss.jpg

6. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

SnowEx 1875 Sandpro

SnowEx 1875 Sandpro
    Excellent choice for a sander/ salter unit.
    Ultra reliable unit from a company that knows how to build spreaders.

:rolleyes: John................

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

2nd piece of advise. Whatever you get if you're spreading sand/salt mix, make sure it's a "two-stage".

8. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Western, pro flow 2, works very well. I have 2 seasons on the one I use for residentials, and have had no problems with it. It wasn't cheap though. But it does spread salt, sand, or mix very well.

Rick

9. turfguy

turfguy Member

pro flow 2

what did you pay for your pro flow 2 ?? do you think I could swing one for 1200 or so. I can buy a curtis 1.5 yard stainless steel spreader with a gas 2.5 hp engine for about 2500$...I saw one at the local ag fair last weekend and it was real sharp.

10. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I paid $2200, for my pro flow 2. Like I said it wasn't cheap, Because I could have bought a very nice ( Locally made ) slide in for $3800. As far as fisher goes, they make one that is the same as the pro flow 2 ( I believe they are the same ). But it was about $2800, for the exact same thing except it was yellow vs. red. Good luck

Rick

11. wxmn6

Rick, I am curious when did you get that pricing for Fisher SpeedCaster 2 spreader? The reason I am asking is because my dealer is selling them for $2700 installed, but that was in August. It probably went up by now since it is now September, the time of years those manufacturers raise their prices.

12. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I paid 1900 for my Pro-Flo 2 a couple of years ago. They installed it with the bed mount, though. I believe the hitch mounted option was about $400.00 more than the bed mount. After using the bed mount - I would purchase the hitch mount.

Chuck B.

13. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I paid somewhere just under $2,000 for mine, not installed, including the variable speed controller.

We built a swing gate to mount it on and we ran the wiring. Not that complicated even for a non-mechanic such as myself.

swing gate 5.jpg

14. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I know you were thinking of a tailgate model, but really a v6000 or 8000 from trynex may work great for you too. I have the 8000,(just fits in a short box Dodge), and I paid only $2500 for it, with so much more versatility than a 2 stage tailgate for almost as much. If you want to run bagged, like I still do often in mine, you may want to get the 6000, which would leave you plenty of room in front of it to stack bags. The whole chute system lifts off in 2 seconds, to leave the rear end flush with the tailgate. It would be great for someone who wants to pull trailers.

aaaplowsite.jpg

15. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Tom - how do you think that bad boy would work in regular bed pick up with a tool box on it? I have a 2500 HD GMC with a Weatherguard box. Would the weight sit too far back or would it be alright in your opinion?

16. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Stephen,

That was the price quoted to me from a fisher dealer in glens falls Ny, back in august of last year, $500 difference for a fisher vs western? Western won.....

Rick

17. PINEISLAND1

Doug,

You could put a 6000 in it, and have lots of room, or put an 8000 in it and still have enough room for the tool box. The weight is distributed the same regardless, because the rear of the salter ALWAYS needs to be at the bumper of the truck...so it doesn't matter if you have a 6 foot box, or 8 foot box, the weight is exactly the same. The only diff would be the amount of room in front of it to stash stuff..

18. PINEISLAND1

I just measured mine, and its 7'2" from the very rear of the frame, to the front edge of the frame, on the v8000. The rear is actually flush with the outside edge of the bumper. So it may be close on the 8000, whether you could fit a toolbox or not, but I think you could. I'm sure it would be no problem with the v6000. My 8000, I put 3000 lbs of slat in, and still get the cover on. I'm not sure what the 6000 would hold.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2003
  19. wxmn6

Thanks Rick. I assume that $2200 price include installation? Does it include the variable speed controller? I think they are about $200 option.

20. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Stephen,

yes that included install, and the variable speed contoller, also mine is the hitch set up.

Rick