1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spreaders that are electric

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cat320, Oct 19, 2003.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

When I asked if fisher would make an electric sander like there procaster model they said no it would put to much strain on the trucks electric system.Now smith,tarco and there are others that make them .Does this mean that they don't want to make one or are they right ?Just thought this would be a good disscustion as far as electric system needed for the truck/Would you have to uprade to go with a v box electric?
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The fisher guy is talking out his a**. The average draw from an eltro hydro plow is between 180-240 amps every time you lift or angle the plow. Now the engineer will say that yes there is a heavy draw but only for few seconds at a time, and the spreader will be running for longer periods of time. However in 6 years of service and 2 smith spreaders I have yet to have even 1 experience where the electric draw has been an issue. The second truck that I have a smith mounted on, only has a 90 amp alt. and small battery.
    The electric spreader has a draw of 30 amps max, and that is only at start up, once up and running that draw is cut closer to 20 amps. When the spreader is running, it shows no more draw on my volt meter than the headlights.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I metered mine at 17-18 amps running and 29-30 at start. This is nor more then most electrical loads in a vehicle.
  4. I had a concern with the draw on the system when i got mine, but while its running (smith vbox) you dont even notice its on.

Steve :eek:
  5. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

At the worst if you were woried about the draw all ya would have to do is add a heavy duty alternator and another battery. which isnt that hard to do. becides most trucks now days already have a spot left to add the extra battery.