1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreaders on ATV's?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by timsjeep, Nov 22, 2003.

1. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

I have a spreader for my Polaris 400 that I use for fert. in the summer. Does anyone use these for Ice melt? I have only one lot that needs it, and thought I would just put some 50# bags in the truck and try it out today. I know I can only hold 150#s at a time but that should do it. Is this a bad idea? Tim
  2. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

Did a search, but it looked like most use them only on sidewalks. Anyone use them out in the parking lot? Tim
  3. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

Well, answered my question. Not a good idea. Waste of time. I am now in the market for a tailgate spreader!
  4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Spreader on ATV

I have a spreader that is made by "Worksaver" that is supposed to be used for fertilizer or grass seeds. I took the butterfly adjustment valve out of the bottom of the hopper, replaced it with a sheet metal plate that has 3 inch hole in it, which took care of clogging problems. For rate control I adjust my ground speed. The main part of successful operation is to have DRY salt without any clumps. This has worked for both parking lots and sidewalks for 8 years, I have had to replace the motor about every other year $65.00.
  5. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

I just didn't feel like I was getting enough out. I would like to see yours. Do you have any pictures? Tim
  6. Progrounds

Progrounds Junior Member

We have two Trynex 875's mounted on our two ATV's. They work well for what we use them for, namely to save tome & make $$
  7. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Pro - do you mean a 375? We mounted a Micro 375 on ours, I'm curious as to how you would go much larger. It works really well. We used a hitch that we bought from Cabella's - so the spreader is resting on the axle instead of on the back rack/suspension.
  8. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Sorry it took so long to get back.
    The spreader I have can be found at www.Worksaver.com
    Part # ATVS-100
    From thier diagram you can see what I did.
    Removed part# 21,22,23,28 replace it with custom made plate with 3" hole.:)
  9. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys. I just kicked my self in the face and purchased a Western ProFlow 2 tailgate spreader. Ouch !!!! That hurt. $2950 installed! Compared to the 225 I spent on the ATV spreader, I am very disapointed. Oh well. I will use it in the summer for fert still. The new spreader is sweet. I think I am going to really like it, just don't like letting cash go out the door. Anyone have a Proflow 2 with feed back? Tim