1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreaders for bulk - options?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Smitty58, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

This year I'm thinking I'll jump on the bulk salt band wagon. I have a F-350 flatbed so any V-box will fit ,but what about tailgate spreaders? Anyone doing bulk through a tailgate spreader? What make/model will do this? What advantages or disadvantages are there to using a tailgate vs V-box for bulk? And lastly what can I expect to pay for a new spreader that can do bulk, V or tailgate?

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Pricing I can't help because I'm in Canada and we get raped here.

An Air-Flo MMS or a Western/Fisher will all spread bulk salt as well as sand/salt.

The only advantages to a tailgate salter are you can see around it, still use your truck bed and it is electric. Most of the V boxes are gas though they do make electric ones.

Check here with some of the sponsers for pricing.

3. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

Most tailgates spreaders can spread bulk, are a cheaper initial investment and easier to install/remove (in most cases)

V-box spreaders can either be gas or electric, they hold much more product and if you are loading at a supply yard or you have a skid-steer/loader handy it is much nicer to have a v-box.

Pricing, you can expect to pay anywhere from 900-1400ish for a decent sized tailgate spreader, a v-box will cost anywhere from 3500 - 10k .... used is a totally different ballpark, if you decide to go used be very careful, remember you get what you pay for, no one is selling well maintained equipment cheap as the season is getting closer.

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

It really depends on your usage. Are you going to use 10tons per night or are you only using 300lbs?! A tailgate will not spread bulk as effeciently as a v-box period.

If you can stick to a pallet per night stay with the tailgate, if not get a V-Box.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A Pro Flo 2 will not spread as wide a pattern as a V box but it will spread bulk extremely well. Having to load it does get old fast.

6. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I have always done bags ,but this yr I have a couple of customers asking about per ton rates (bulk) so it got me thinking about a bulk spreader. The new saltdogg tailgate spreader has a 80lb vibrator and it's pretty big. Looks like a good alternative to a v-box and about 1/3 the price. I would have to shovel it in though which will suck ,but bulk is cheaper to buy. Anyone do it this way? If so how big of a pain is it and is it worth it to make a few extra bucks?

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I've been going back and forth for a couple years now. We primarily went to liquid last year but still use a Fisher 1000 on a rare occasion. IMO you really have to justify buying a V box spreader due to all that comes with it.....loading bulk salt, storing bulk salt and having the accounts to make it worth your while. I think a spreader like a Snow-Ex 1875 or something that will spread bagged, bulk or even sand is a great way to go.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  8. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

The 2yd saltdogg looks like a good choice. Will hold 4000lbs of salt, and eliminate me climbing into the truck throwing bags. I would not be storing bulk salt, there are a couple of places nearby that stay open during storms so I would just go there and load up. As far as justifying the additional costs? I'm looking at a longer term plan, but I think it would speed up the amount of time spent on spreading salt and therefore I could cover more lots. Of course the difference in the price of salt would pay for it in time, depends on how many tons I throw.

9. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Stay away from the tailgate salters while using bulk. They are more likely to clog up due to the higher moisture content of bulk salt. Also they seem to like a more uniform kernal of salt which is harder to find during salt shortages.

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If you have a place that will load it for you and you have enough work for even half a hopper then hell yeah go with a V box type of spreader. I used to get loaded up by a local plowing company who sold to other contractors but it got to be too much to buy salt from him....$160.00 for a scoop of bulk. Thats why its liquid for us from now on!