1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreaders and diicers

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by scjjcj, Feb 22, 2006.

1. scjjcj

scjjcj Junior Member
    from Boston

I am interested in getting a taligate spreader to deice my driveway next year and am looking for some advice and type of spreaders, deicing material and amount of deicer I can expect to need per application. The drive way is around 1,500 hundred feet long by 12 feet wide, so approx 18,000 sq feet.

Thx

2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Are you just looking for home use or are you going to do some other locations
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTELargeImageView?rfno=669120&storeId=6970
    buyers makes a nice spreader and the price is not bad. This spreader does a great job and last for years if you just keep it clean after each use and store it durring the summer.
    You can spend much more on others but for home use and some commerical use also its cost effective.The only thing that this one does is spreads slower because of the auger and spinner opening we just make some extra slots in the one we use to allow more flow to the spinner....

3. scjjcj

scjjcj Junior Member
    from Boston

Strictly home use. I saw a Fisher spreader that holds 225lbs. I just want to be sure I get a spreader that is not goingt to have to be refilled multiple times to cover one application on the driveway.

4. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

The buyers holds over 300 lbs on chemicals it should do fine on a private drive but some storms need more than one application .If you need a larger volume you will spend over a thousand bucks for the ease on just one filling. 300 lbs of chemicals goes a long way. That would be more than plenty to do this drive.

5. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

This buyer's model: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?storeId=6970&productId=200136324&R=200136324 has the same capacity as the other one above but also has the commercial motor that they use in the larger units, is set up for a direct feed from the battery (the other one uses a cigarette lighter adaptor) and a variable speed control. This model also has an auger to help decrease clogging. I don't think the other model does. Don't know if it would be worth the extra couple of hundred bucks for you for those features. I've got one coming in about a week.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006