1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnkid, Feb 28, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

In your guys opinions, which spreader is best. What kinda spreader would you recommend for small-medium commercial parking lots and residential parking lots, hopper or tailgate. I'll be running a pick-up not a dump.
  2. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

i would recommend for you like a myers mini spreader or a byers tailgate spreader.
  3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

we currently use western pro-flo spreaders. they arent the cheapest spreaders out there, but they can be taken off in about 90 seconds flat if so desired, and rarely get clogged up. they cost approximately $1800. we salt some fairly big parking lots with these spreaders.

your question would somewhat depend on what type of storage capabilities you have for salt, as well as equipment.
  4. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

I just started salting this yr. as I always sub out the salting before. A couple of friends use the Western Proflow-2 and like them ,I got a great price on this Buyers and like it.

salter back.jpg
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

For a tailgate like that go with an Air-Flo MSS. If you want a V-box which i would suggest if you plan on growing then go with a Smith Stainless. A V-box is not much more then a tailgate in the long run.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I picked up a used (barely) Western Single stage tailgate spreader last fall. I cant say enough good about this unit. I have had no problems with it, it spreads great and has made me an awful lot of money this winter. I still use v- boxes on the lots of 2-4 acres, but for all the bank size lots and dr office types, the tailgate allows me to salt right after plowing, and not send a big truck in.

I've got less than $500 into it, and I see them in the classifieds for the same money quite often. You will make that back in one night.

I use mostly MAGIC SALT through it, which also helps I think.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2002
  7. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm not sure lawnkid has a loading machine to fill a V-box or a place to store bulk salt. So this would be the cheaper way to go for now.

I spread about 15 tons of baged salt this year (2002) and would have saved about $750.00 if bulk but a V-box would have cost me about $3000.00 more than the $500.00 I paid for a week old spreader. Plus I don't own a bobcat( $$$$) to load bulk but have about 3 acres so storage not a problem but still would have to build a cover building & concrete slab for proper storage. So for now it's not cost effective for me.:(
  8. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I started salting this year... and started with the Western Pro Flo 2. I have not used other models, however, I must say that I like the Pro Flo 2 alot. No clogging, good control of product, easy to clean and service. We mounted it on a 1 ton dump and built a custom swing gate so we could have pallets loaded directly into the truck. The only drawback I know for the Pro Flo 2 is that I don't believe you can get a swing gate for it. Hence the reason we built one. We can get about eight 80 lb bags of salt into the spreader, so it holds about 640 lbs. The weight capacity is listed closer to 1,000, but I believe this would be for sand/salt mix.
  9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Around here many people buy from a local supplier. He is open during a storm and they buy each load. I have also seen guys load V-boxes by hand.

Don't get me wrong I understand what you are saying. He can always move up to a V-box and keep the other as a spare or for a seperate truck.

For new spreaders not that big of a difference in the big picture and spread out over a long period.

Used V-box can be found too. Around here lots for $1000 in good shape.
  10. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

That would be nice to have a local supplier to buy from & have it loaded, nothing like that around here :( . I could have put the extra $750.00 in my pocket for extra things, oh well.

I think he said he was going to college so he may not have a lot of $$ to spare at this time.
  11. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Ohio, I like the mount for your Byers, want to make one for my Western on my 1 ton. Could you snap another picture or two? Lawn lad, got any pictures of your swing away mount. Sounds like it could be just what I'm looking for.
  12. RB

RB Senior Member

C18 knows what he is talking about. I owned a buyers and a snowex spreader, then at the beginning of this winter I purchased an airflo MSS. This is by far the best tailgate spreader I've owned. I have friends who own proflo 2 and the MSS is better. This MSS is basically a mini vbox and is built like a rock.

Iam thinking about selling it and purchasing a smith stainless vbox for next season.

Does anyoen know what that smith electric v weighs?

13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The smith weighs about 650# empty.
    I have owned 2 MSS spreader and I have a sub that owns a Pro Flo2 and the MSS is alot simpler in design and in use. KISS
  14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Just remember if you are making an investment like a plow or spreader to think about how much you want to invest into the business. I bought my first plow used when I started out. The next year I bought a spreader used because I was right on the edge of whether to keep spreadng by hand or move up to a spreader. I went with a used V-box and managed to get a couple more accounts.

That spreader is still running even though it is 15 years old and I have had it for 8 years. Proper maintenance is important.

For the most part I buy new now but I can justify it because I have the accounts. If major expenses are a problem then I would think about buying used.
  15. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

16. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

17. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio