1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader??????

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by thundercat99, Jan 7, 2004.

1. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

looking for a tailgate spreader. there is one on ebay its a grotech looks like its about 600lbs dont know how old it is.

Does grotec make a decent spreader?

What is this spreader worth ?

How much are replacement parts?

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Grotech made an "excellent spreader".
    Parts should you need them can be obtained or ordered though most Western dealers.
    As far as price can't be of much help without seeing the condition and operating the spreader.
    Years ago and one with a swing-a -way mount went for around $1200 so you may want to use it as a guide.
    John..............

3. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

I have a Meyer Mini Spreader that I may be able to part with. It includes all wiring control box, everything needed for correct hookup to your vehicle. Motor, spinner, auger and hub are all brand new with no rust. Frame has minor surface rust all over. I can give it up for $500. Email me at Landscape80@aol.com if you are interested.

Chris

P.S.
    Only needs 1 thing....rear spinner guard, old one rusted away (typical)

4. thundercat99

what i came up with so far

found meyers mini jr for 200.00 needs a motor and controler.

buyers 600lb for 550.00 1 year old

5. Landscape80

If you're doing any lots or driveways with even the slightest bit of size to em' the 600 lb models are the way to go.....I couldn't imagine using a smaller spreader. I'm not saying that you should buy mine, but I'm suggesting that whatever you buy should be a 600. Just a thought. If you are still interested, just let me know.

Chris

6. thundercat99

????

what size is a mini jr

also im in chicago shipping would probally cost to much.

7. Landscape80

A Mini Jr. has a 400 lb capacity. I only said against it in case you're doing a lot of open spaces, in which case you'd be better off getting out once or twice to fill a hopper rather that having the smaller model and getting out to fill it 3 or 4 times. Hope the advice helps in your decision, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask away, I'll answer them as best as I can.

Chris

8. thundercat99

?????

thanks for the advice i ruled out the meyer jr. now looking att 600lb spreaders thanks for the help still checking options

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Where was the Meyer JR located? I might be interested in picking up another one.

10. drafto

drafto Member

Is the Meyers Mini able to spread sand? I may be interested, I am located in Wilmington DE.....drafto@insertkey.com.

11. Landscape80

Drafto......you could get away with spreading dry sand with the Jr. I wouldn't take a chance spreading sand that is too wet, I'm sure a lil' bit of moisture won't hurt it though.

Chris

12. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

Thundercat, if you haven't purchased yet, I'd look into a Trynex (Lesco, SnowEx, Curtis, etc.) I have one hitch mounted and two pivot mounts. The hitch mount (model 575) is like 350 lbs capacity, the Pivot mount (1075) is like 650 lbs capacity. Only downfall I've had is putting on and off the pivot mount. As with any large capacity, you need an extra set of hands unless your truck can be tied up all winter with it on. Advantage to pivot mount is if you have to refill during the night, you pull two pins, slide two latches, and swing open (ONLY IF ITS EMPTY, NEVER WITH PRODUCT IN IT). Flip down your tailgate and no more lifting over your bed rails! The SnowEx has a digital controller, the Lesco and Curtis have a dial type controller. I've had good luck out of mine! They run between $1700 and $2000 depending on your retailer, thats cash and carry. Installation should be under $200.
    Justin

13. drafto

drafto Member

Landscape80 where is Dover PA?

14. Landscape80

I'm in York County in central-Pennsylvania, about 30 minutes south of Harrisburg

15. drafto

drafto Member

Can you post a pic of the spreader? I have a snowex mini-pro 575 and do not really like it. Is there a big difference between Meyers and Snowex? I am thinking i might not be happy until I get a v-box spreader.

16. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

17. Landscape80

here is a picture.......hopefully it loads, the picture is from last year. My spreader has a new: motor , spinner, auger, and hub. everything is in pretty good shape. Includes all wiring, control box, whole 9 yards, all you need is a truck to mount it on. Surface rust on frame, I sanded and painted it last year when I replaced the motor and stuff, but the surface is still a lil' rough. Needs a rear spinner guard. Works great, I used it twice this year and once last year. Less than 5 hours use total since upgrades. If you're interested, just let me know. Either drop me an e-mail at Landscape80@aol.com or give me a call at 717-292-4002, thanks.

mvc-390s.jpg

18. Landscape80

one other thing....the stripe that you see on the bottom is duct tape, I was using that as a temp. guard, worked OK, but still could use the actual guard.

Chris

19. Landscape80

another pic

mvc-394s.jpg

20. Landscape80

another....

Forgot to mention, these pics are from when it was kept outside, since April 2003, I have kept it in my garage, and it has been cleaned after every use.

mvc-392s.jpg