1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader works on blast only

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Nesit, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Nesit

Nesit Junior Member

We have a Buyers tailgate spreader that only works when i blast it. control box junk or is it something else. Im stuck

2. StrongestDad

StrongestDad Member

My box fried too :(

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My guess would be that the rheostat went bad. I'm assuming it has a speed control dial.

4. Nesit

Nesit Junior Member

Going to get a new one. Put my buddys in, worked fine. i hate spendin $ when it hasnt snowed

5. Brian Young

Just hook it up to a toggle switch and in line fuse for a while.

6. Nesit

Nesit Junior Member

Good idea gonna try that. either that or blast it.thanks

7. StrongestDad

StrongestDad Member

Thx for the post. I'm gonna try the switch idea too.

8. Brian Young

Just make sure you get a switch that will handle the amps. I use these 20amp switches from NAPA and a 20 amp in line fues. And when you cut the wires leave enough wire on the (plug to the controller end) if you want to buy another controller box so you can put the original wire back. When we ran Fisher 1000's they had a speed dial and we used it like ZERO times, it was always cranked up to 10.

9. Brian Young

Yeah those control boxes are a bit pricey for some reason. Toggle switches work just fine.

10. Nesit

Nesit Junior Member

Put one in works fine. used a 3 way switch got hi and low. 11 bucks thanks for the help

11. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

mine fried also, going to go the 3 way toggle route.