1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spreader with cap on bed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by frndinalowplace, Feb 9, 2005.

1. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

does any one have a salt spreader with a cap on their bed that u can get too can u send some pics if u have any thanx

2. j&j properties

j&j properties Junior Member

my boss spreader allows me enough space to open my cap to get a shovel in and out but not much else. But, the boss spreader does go on and off really easily and quickly with no one else needed to help me. Which isn't bad for a storm to storm plower with another job for the truck when it isn't snowing!

Also some smaller reciever mount spreader are below the top of the tailgate so you would be able to access the cap then.(I think Buyers had one in the Northern Catalog)

Good luck in your search!!

3. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

thank u finally some one replied ya i think the buyers low profile one would work it just looks like the cap of the spreader is above the gate so not a prob

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I just got the swing away. Love it. If I had a topper it would be no problem. I can open my tailgate tho. Remove one pin and baddaboom-baddabing swing away.

5. j&j properties

reaper, how are those swing-aways mounted? I have another smaller truck that cant handle weight capacity of the boss spreader and I'm loking for a small swing away. But...I hate to bolt things to the body of the trucks :cry: which is another reason I chose the boss(new hitch not drill holes in my new truck):nod:

thanks

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Is drilled holes in bumper and both rear 1/4 panels. I have a pic of it in the pictures forum.

7. j&j properties

:eek: I don't think I could stand to drill holes in the body of my $25,000 trucks. I'd probably :cry: as I drilled. but thanks for the info!

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Is it a limo or a work truck?

Seriously, I coated the holes after drilling and will find plugs for them in spring. I was talking to a few that had the hitch mount and they did'nt like they way they wobbled. The swing away is sturdy and since I drive a bunch that is what I was looking for. If I sell the truck,which is highly unlikely, I will include the spreader and get a new one for whatever I replace truck with.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  9. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

im with j&j i would never drill a hole in the trucks panel i dont care if it is truck what does that have any thing to do with it

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You already have holes in your truck. The stake holes are punched, drain holes and hold downs have holes drilled and tapped. The bumper has holes already as well. If they are treated and plugged when not in use I don't see what the problem is. So what the cost of the truck. It is a work truck and to be used as such.

I would not drill holes in my 94 Ram I have either. Is a 2whl dr. black 1500. One of 1st made when they made the new body style. But it is also my personal truck for going out or what not. The other trucks are work trucks and if they need a couple holes drilled to attach something that will help me make money,then so be it.

I drilled holes in the light housings for my strobes. Drilled in the back of truck cab to run the wires in. bug shield? plow? trailer hitch? Mars light? switch's under dash?

I guess it is relevant to some and not others is all.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  11. j&j properties

I haven't drilled any holes for after market parts. All lights are mag/vaccum mount to the roof, cap is clamped, and hitch was factory then swapped up but same mount holes and I didn't personally drill the holes for the plow. It is a work truck but I still can't bring myself to drill holes into it right now. In a few years once it has a few dents/ scratches whatever it will be differnt but for now it's still a 'new' truck

12. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

drop down hitch mount

We run drop down hitch mount spreader's easy to make just one pin and the spreader drops down but the swing away works better for pick ups. A few holes in the bumper or side panel in the middle of a storm to resupply is a no brainer why off load your supplies twice. Swing the spreader to the side and load a whole slid in 2 min or load the truck by hand then off load it again dont move it twice just my 2 cents.....

13. j&j properties

I can't load my truck a pallet at a time. The tools I need all the time get priority over the salt that I need once a week. My run also isn't big enough to need that muchsalt all the time. A hopper full and and I'm good for the run.then if I need more I come back and reload! Maybe when I expand my runs next season a swing away may be an option on the second truck but for now what I have works without having to load/unload twice. However,I do see where a bigger opperation could ave the need for a entire pallet on the truck and not want to unload it!