1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spreader width control

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bobcatnj, Jan 16, 2006.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj Member
    from NJ

for you guys with a snow ex 575 what number do you have the control set at when salting a normal sized residental driveway?

2. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

When I had a SnowEx 1075 I would only run 1/4 speed at the most on a narrow drive, I don't remember the number setting. Don't worry about the quantity of salt coming out you can control that by the truck's forward speed. You only want to spread wide enough to cover the drive, any wider and you risk turf and plant damage in the spring. A good idea would be to do some tests on dry pavement and to run a spreader light so you can see where the majority of the salt is going behind you.

3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

The 575 can run out some salt 1/4 speed sounds about rite but again you also have to figure truck speed and amount of salt to be laid and amount of snow/ice and ground temp.

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

on a single wide drive i only run it at about 15 any higher and im trowing salt into the yard

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a SnowEx 1075 and I run it at about 14-15 and then just work on the truck speed and you shoudl be good to go...payup :waving:

6. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Same here - I set mine at 15 for a 12 foot spread.. Your speed will control the VOLUME spread, while the spinner sets the WIDTH.

Suggest you do a sample spread on clean black asphalt.. that will give you a better idea of the pattern for each number.

Now, if anyone ever figures out how to get the 575 not to come on at 99, let me know!