1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader Vibrators

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brad3403, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Just installed my Karrier Vibrators on my spreaders today. Hopefully they are worth it. Question for anyone that has used them, when it is loaded, do you need to keep it running all the time to prevent bridging and freeze up or turn it on just when spreading? (sometimes it may be a couple hours after loading before I start spreading)

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Z-80 on a tailgate speader ????

3. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Nope, Z 200 twins on my 4yd and a single Z 200 on my 2yd.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have never used one but I would think if you run it without having the spreader on you would pack your load and that wouldn't be good.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

They say only run as needed or on a timer, never constantly, can destroy welds, break bolts ETC, also guy we talked to before buying said a safety cable is a good idea to keep from flying off and hitting another vehicle.

6. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

wow, safety cable never thought of that, thanks for posting the intel.....

7. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I have a Karrier Z-80 on my Magnum 575 hitch mounted spreader. I turn the vibrator on when i start spreading and flip it off when the spreader is empty. It has worked well for me. I can spread salt wetted w/liquid calcium chloride when it gets below 20*F with no issues. I have also spread salt & sand mix w/ no issues.

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I don't turn my Karrier unit on until I need too... usually when I get down to half a hopper the bridging starts... turn the unit on for a few seconds and all is good to go...... as stated above you don't want to run them constantly as the will damage the spreader... but damn I love mine!