1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader Types

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bolensdriver, Nov 21, 2004.

1. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Does anyone have any experience with the dump body / spreader combination units?

The town is getting them on all new trucks they purchase. The newest purchases are a F550 and an International. Are these good? Are you stil able to haul rock and hot top in the summer months?

Also,
    Tailgate spreaders (on dump trucks), anyone have experience with them? Must be a pain to raise the dump body and worry about the wires you might hit... and the balance of the truck.

Sincerely,
    Jake

2. bolensdriver

Also, I'd like to know of the brand of spreader that spreads the material in front of the truck. My uncle saw one at a event in Massachusetts and I'd like to know what the spreader is called and the brand, if anyone knows.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We have a tailgate spreader on a 3500HD. It is 6 years old and had never occured to me aboout hitting wires. I don't think it really goes that high and you can't spread with the box all the way up because the spreader is to low to the ground. We raise it to dump the material to the back of the truck and then lower it to 1/2 way. It is also really hard on the ram if it is fully extended and you are going in circles or turning.

4. bolensdriver

5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

the extra weight of a live bottom body makes a big differance to me as we are paid by how much material we can haul.if that is not a factor for you than this body should work excellent.The city of chicago has many live bottom bodies that vthey use both for salt in the winter time as well as hot mix in the summer.I personally prefer my vbox as i dont have to shift material and can be removed for summer time work.