1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spreader troubles

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by t608, Sep 19, 2011.

1. t608

t608 Junior Member
    from RI

I have a smiths 1 yard or 1.5 with electric drive. My problem is the sand gets stuck and I have to get out of the truck and free it with a shovel handle. It's a big pain.

Also i feel the sand comes out slow and I can only get a thin coating on the pavement.

Should I sell the spreader and get something else? Or am I going to have this problem no matter what? I bought the spreader in 2005. If I was to get something new I was thinking something like fisher's plastic box spread as the sides in it are father apart and go straight up. Seems like you would have less of the sand getting stuck. I don't know how it spreads though.

Thanks

2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Have you tried a vibrator mounted near the area you are having issues with, are you opening the rear chute enough? Is everything operating up to specs?

3. t608

t608 Junior Member
    from RI

a vibrator? Everything seems to run fine. Cute is open all the way. I think the problem is the sand/salt is probably wet from being outside at the local gravel pit.

The sander is a V shape so the whole bottom would be open. Say maybe from the chain up to where the sand is, is probably about a 12" of space in between.

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

the sand is "bridging".....karrier vibrator. $250 will solve your problems.... I don't run a v box without one anymore.....

5. t608

t608 Junior Member
    from RI

How often do you run the vibrator?

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

whenever you need too.... I usually wait until i don't see any product coming out and hit the switch.... 10 seconds and your good to go again

7. t608

t608 Junior Member
    from RI

holy crap! I have to get one of these. What do I do, bolt it to a side all?

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Just bolt it on and run the wires...thats it.... make sure you get some good quality bits for drilling through the stainless steel...a couple hours (if that) and your done..... get the z200 model

http://www.karrierco.com/

9. t608

t608 Junior Member
    from RI

I'm very pleased to say my Karrier vibrator worked liked a charm!! Today was our first storm and I'm glad I bought this vibrator. One less big headache!

Thank you so much for your advice!!!Thumbs Up

10. dooleycorp

dooleycorp Senior Member

wet sand will always stick try to cover load if possible

11. jcab12002

jcab12002 Junior Member

Definately use a vibrator and make sure you stock is covered.

12. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Your welcome...glad I could help

13. t608

t608 Junior Member
    from RI

My load is always covered, it's when I go to pick the sand/salt up at the gravel pit that it's not covered. Dry sand spreads so much nicer then wet.