1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader tie downs ???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by speralandscape, Dec 30, 2008.

1. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

I just bought a new Meyer Vbox sander tonight and installed it. Everything works great, I was just wondering what anyone else used as tie downs. The dealer gave me ratchet straps and I used those to strap it just to drive it home since they are small ones. I think I am going to go get heavy duty ones in the morning. I was just curious if anyone had any other opinions? Thanks

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i use 4 medium duty ratchet straps crossed under the spreader. they are like 2 or 3 inches in diameter, they are not the little cheap ones or the big 4 inch heavy duty ones.just make sure you tighten them up even so it stays centered in the truck.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure you have something solid between the front of your bed and the spreader. I hit a cut on an asphalt driveway (picked it up mid season and homeowner was too numb to tell me) last year. Not fun. I was running well over 9000 lbs, truck came to a dead stop. I was in Vee, and bent the curved piece of my cutting edge. My wife got a seatbelt burn, I hit my head on the wheel and blacked out for a second. If I hadn't had my blocking in, the sander might have been in the back seat. I also know of another guy that broke all four straps (or chains, I'm not sure) holding down his three yard sander. I use four 2 inch straps to hold down the Polycaster.

4. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I like using 4 chains & binders. No UV degragation, no corrosion/freeze up/rusted shut problems.

5. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

We use 4" ratchet staps that mount to welded D rings in the dump bed. No such thing as overkill.

6. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Anyone that is useing a flat bed needs to watch out for body flex. I droped my rear wheels off the side of a blacktop drive and the body flexed enough to unhook the sander on one corner. I looked in my mirror to back up and what do I see but my sander setting cockeyed on the bed. I double strap the front now in oppiset directions.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Opposite direction or diagonal is important. Straps running almost straight up and down don't have as much effect preventing sideways movement.

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I used to run chain and binders PLUS a welded I bean across the back that attached into the tailgate hinge on the dump truck.

When you're dealing with that kind of weight, I don;t trust ratchet straps, and you can't be too careful.

9. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

4 medium ratchet straps....... never had any problems with it.. I also keep the sander offset so to fit two snow blowers on the passenger side.

10. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

Thanks alot guys for the opinions. First thing in the morning I went and bought the big four inch ratchet straps and tried it out and it didn't move at all. Plowed all day yesterday with no problems. Sander works great.