1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spreader that will throw mix

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Detroitdan, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

So, who can tell me what will handle sand/salt mix. I was looking at hitch mount and tailgate spreaders, even checked out a cute little walk-behind that would probably be big enough for the amount of use it will see, but I really think I need to be able to spread mix. I have trouble figuring out from the manufacturers specs what these things will actually throw. I only need it for a few driveways and a one good sized lot, so I don't want to spend a fortune and I don't want to put a big huge sander in the back that will tie up the bed all winter. And I don't want to have to get loaded by a front end loader that will drop rocks and dirt all over my fiberglass dually fenders. I appreciate the input.
  2. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

A western pro flo 2 will do the job great ! Fisher also makes the same model and i beleive someone in this site has one for sale, pretty cheap.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I agree with Diesal. I run the Pro Flow II. Best purchase of the year. It the only thing making me any money. I got mine for about $2200. Some one was selling one not so long ago. You may be able to pick one up cheap.
  4. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I have a speedcaster2 (for sale) that throws mix with no problem.
  5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Basically it has to be a 2 stage to spread any kind of sand or mix.
    The western pro flow is a 2 stage as is that fisher. There are not that many hitch mont units out there that are 2 stage.
    2 stage means there is one mechanism to feed the spinner and the actual spinner to spread it. You will not spread sand with a gravity fed spinner, it won't fall down, even if it has a little agitator or something on the shaft.

6. Manfre

Manfre Junior Member
    from pa

i have a fisher speed caster 2 and it works really good you can put wet sand in it salt anything it got its own convyaer in it so then it will spread just about anythig it works good
  7. kyle volz

kyle volz Member
    from Midwest

I use a SnowEx model number 1875 that will do the job excellent. Tailgate model so you have access and availablity of your truck. Easy on and off and very quick to take on and off.
  8. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Ditto on the SnowEx. Hands down the best tailgater around. The built in vibrator is excellent. If you need bed access, it's a no brainer.