1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spreader question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mikemac, Dec 27, 2005.

1. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

do you guys think it is better to buy a cheap spreader that has been used, that has rusty holes and little paint and weld it up and sandblast it, repaint it. is it better to spend 4,000 dollars on a new one? do too many things wear out on it that make rebuilding an old one not even worth it?
    thanks

2. GSE

GSE Senior Member

IMHO, buy a new one. Buy a stainless one with a Honda Motor.

A spreader is something that HAS to work when you need it to. It's also something you should be able to get a solid 10+ years out of if you maintain it correctly.

I'm sure someone else will have another opinion.......

3. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I would buy a new one. You will have a warranty if anything breaks. But I would go electric. Easy to install and you don't have to worry about gas and choke, oil and other crap. One switch! heres a pic of mine. Its a painted electric version paid $2300 cash and carry!

spreader1.JPG

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go new. Even though I am starting to see the value in buying some stuff used, anything that will be a core piece of equipment should be new with warranty. Now the loader used to load the salt in I would consider getting used.

5. jhughesIII

jhughesIII Junior Member

Don't fool around. In the middle of a storm you want a machine that you runs flawless. Not having a problem when you it the most will be worth every extra dollar.

6. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

The way I look at it...

I bought a used one. It's about 10 years old at that. I've had a couple small issues with it but nothing that put me out of service for more than a few minutes.
    If it makes it through the rest of the winter without any huge issues, next summer I will rehab it (new bearings, chain, etc) and try and get a couple more seasons out of it. I figure as long as the hopper is in good condition, the rest is easily fixable... I hope...

If something major breaks on me in the middle of a storm though, I may have no option but to go get a new one.

It is a gamble getting a used one, just keep that in mind.

7. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

What kind of spreader would that be? Specs?

8. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

OH...I see it in your signature line now, sorry.

9. kyle volz

kyle volz Member
    from Midwest

I would buy new, buy electric get SnowEx. We have four of them and they always work! Best warranty in the business. Check it out if you don't believe it. You can pay for a salter in a couple events. Good luck and everyone has given you good advice to consider.

Making Profit in a low snow volume market, we must have equipment that works everytime. SnowEx does it.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd vote for new. There's just too much to go wrong on a spreader to take a chance. I've had mine - 2yd Fisher with 11hp Honda - four years with no problems. But someone else has the same thing and seemed to have nothing but problems.