1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by b2driver, Sep 17, 2004.

1. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

b2driver,
    It will probably work fine as long as your salt or other material stays dry & loose. I have had experience with small ATV spreader and found that it can be a real PIA if the salt gets clumps in it! If you purchase it you may want to see about removing the butterfly gate to increase the size & amount of material that will flow through the feeder neck above the spinner wheel. This will eliminate some of the plugging that will occur with this style spreader. With the capacity of only 100# you will have to fill up often, if you are just doing your own driveway then it should work fine. :waving: BOAST

3. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

Just my 2 Cents, but I have used a few different types of spreaders and have found that you get what you pay for. I too have used some cheaper models and by the time I fooled with hooking them up and getting the material to flow through, I'd of been better off with a broadcast spreader. Not trying to tell you not to do it but just giving my past experience. Good Luck.

4. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

Thanks for the replies guys. I would be able to keep the truck in the garage, which is heated. Perhaps that would keep it drier and avoid clumping. But it sounds like it isn't a very dependable item anyway. Can you direct me to some other alternatives for a spreader? I need something hitch mount, because I am plowing with a Bronco II, so a tailgate spreader isn't going to work.

Thanks.

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

what are you going to be spreading? sand salt or mix. if salt you can do with single stage. but if sand or mix go with either 2 stage or just do it by hand. you are just doing a few driveways, and time isn't a big deal.

6. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

I plan on just spreading salt. Can you explain the difference between single and 2 stage?

Also, time is a big deal. Like I said, this isn't my job. I will do this before I go to my job depending on when the storm hits.

7. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

if you are going to be spreading salt go with a single stage and keep bags of salt in your heated garage and you will be golden. lots of great info here and elsewhere on spreaders do a search. have fun reading theres alot to read :) and plowing of course

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Personally I would think that the snow-ex 375 ?? would be more of what your looking for. I have 575s on my trucks with no problems.

The types that have adjustable gates on them instead of an auger tend to lost the salt out as you are going down the road...

9. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

I guess I need a bigger budget. I looked up those models and they are way out of my price range.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i dont know looks pretty made cheap

11. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I'd use a broadcast spreader. If you're not careful mounting the tailgate spreader you can damage your tailgate. Also you should take it off when not using it which is a pita.

12. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Gpin

Our Snow Ex spreaders are reciever mounts, Prior to our current spreaders we fabricated receiver mounts for our "tail gate" spreaders....