1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by garagedude, Dec 22, 2010.

1. garagedude

garagedude Junior Member
    from Ky

I'm buying a pull behind spreader for my garden tractor. Are hard plastic tires better than soft rubber that will deflate if need be. I've seen some that just slide on the ice and then no salt is displaced. Some have a way of locking the axles together also..Any ones better than others ??

2. leon

leon Senior Member

spreaders

What ever you do, do not buy a spreader wih plastic wheels as it will only bounce.

Tractor supply has a very large pneumatic tired spreader that is well thought out and will carry 100 pounds or more (its in the My shed and I cannot remember the builder but they are in the catalog.

The Garden way spreaders are very good as well but the hitch tongues are cheap and weak- you can always add windshield washer fluid to add some wieght to the tires as this is a win win and will help to keep it from tipping when low in wieght from casting salt.

The frame on the TSC sold spreader is sturdy and you may want to bolt a wieght tray on the tongue to hold some standard bricks or a pair of hollow core cinder blocks. I had no issues with spreading or tipping as it is a wide spreader.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. garagedude

garagedude Junior Member
    from Ky

Spreader

Thanks for the tips, I'll stay away from plastic wheels for sure. Going to TSC soon to see what they have.

4. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

It is kinda fun to watch the guys doing walks with fertilizer spreaders with plastic wheels, though.

:mechanic: