1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader Preference

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by slade, Feb 4, 2007.

1. slade

slade Senior Member

I almost bought a new spreader this year, but decided to hold off. Probably buy it before next season. Leaning towards a western ice breaker 9' v box, or a snoway 10'. Which would you guys go with? Also where would be the best place to buy it, like a large discount dealer. I priced them from tim wallace snow plow supply - About $6350 for a 9' western shipped to Ks.
  2. slade

slade Senior Member

I was also thinking about getting Honda motor but one the dealers told me that they had some trouble with being hard to start in the cold weather and recomended the briggs engine. Have any of you guys heard this?
  3. Rickco

Rickco Member

I have the ice breaker with a honda. Sander is great. The honda SUCKS!
  4. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

I have an Icebreaker and love it. I have the 11hp Honda and have no problems with it. For the past 3 days now we have been below zero with windchills -10 to -30. Mine started right up with no problems. It is mounted in the back of the dump which is parked outside. I am thinking od getting another one before next season.

The price you mentioned seems high. I hooked a guy from Idaho up with my dealer an they shipped one out there almost $1000 less than he could buy it for out there. If you want a name pm me.
  5. slade

slade Senior Member

I am starting to leans toward a Downeaster 9' spreader. I think that htey are the only ones that make a 9' gas powered spreader with a flip chute. I got quoted $6585 for a 9' ss with flip chute and briggs motor, Anybody know whrer to get a good deal on one of these spreaders?
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Sno-Way also produces a 9' stainless steel spreader with a swing chute and your choice of Briggs or Honda power. You can get price and availability in Kansas City from American Equipment Company, 913-342-1450.
  7. slade

slade Senior Member

I have checked them out. Their 9' is the same height and width as there 8' and just doesn't have the capacity that these other units have that I am looking at. If their 9' was the same height and width as their 10' then I would probably go with it.