1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader Pattern

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Snowpower, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I have a large Buyers tailgate deal I used last night for the first time. It throws more salt to the drivers side than the passenger side.

I know this is not unusual with any type of spreader. Maybe some are better than others but has anyone tried doing anything with the spinner?

Like adding a small ......see if I can describe it.

Like a small flap with like a 30 degree angle on it on two of the four spinner paddle things. Opposite each other so every other paddle takes a little more product to the right side of the unit.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Heres a little impromtu drawing to explain what I mean.

[​IMG]

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i could see how that would work

but i would make the flaps kinda pliable so if it needs a little adjusting in the field it could be easily done

4. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Good thinking. Im thinking some like 3/4 inch or 1 inch ( I havent measured the hight of the paddles) stainless steel strips screwed or gently bolted on.

I dunno.

Gonna play around with the pattern. Its not that big a deal but it is kinda sucky biasing towards one side when a lot of the times if it spread evenly behind the truck I can make one pass instead of two.

5. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

maybe a piece of thick aluminum bolt to the rear deflector ,bend it to the angle you want.

6. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Try to re-direct where the salt is hitting the spinner first. Where the salt goes has little to do with the actually spinner but more with where it lands on the spinner based on C-forces.

Also all left side mounted spinner will discharge heavy to the left side of the truck. This is why I pay for the center discharge on my Undertailgate spreaders and I adjust the spiner so the main stream of salt lands center/right of center of the plate for the most even pattern off the plate. If I were to do any metal fab on a left side discharge spreader it would be closing the left side of the discharge hole and opening it more to the right of center of the plate.

Look at where the high side of the deflector is behind the plate. It is also designed to discharge more to the left to keep salt off the back of the truck. Anotthere reason why I get the center discharge.

Just what I have experienced.

Ron G.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  7. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Evergreen,

I spun the shaft with a little salt in the hopper and because there is the vertical auger in there it "Wants" to drop salt on the left side then right side. In other words as the auger spins the drop sort of goes around and around the opening.

So its not always coming down in the same place.

Understand this is a tailgate spreader. Not an Under tailgate spreader. Theres probably not much I can do to re engineer the thing, but I may try some little flaps like I had above....maybe.

I think what happens is that when the auger rotates and wants to drop product in the center or (looking at the back of the truck) right/passenger side of the deflector, that it whips it around the deflector and it goes to the left/drivers side bias. Perhaps my flaps would exasserbate the problem now that I think about it.

gah. heh. :)

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

well think of it as timing a gas motor's ignition

if you introduce product in the early part of the cyle it will be too advanced or if you prolong the introduction of product you are retart the timing

so if it is releasing the salt too soon (left) just drop the salt later in the revolution whatever way it spins

OR. hold onto it longer witch will relace it later in the cycle (same result)

i know this is kind of redundant i was just trying to prove it too myself (i have to draw a picture sometimes) LOL

i think what the above poster was talking about center discharge was: the hole that the salt drops out of the spreader of, is it round AROUND the shaft (center) just a hole in top of the spinner maybe towards the front of the spreader? I THINK that is what he ment

so in concl. no new advice LOL

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've spent days trying to get a perfect spread pattern. Being the farmer that I am I thought a perfect pattern would be better. Now after 18 years I've decided that the cars drag it around so who cares, as long as it melts.

10. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Yeah maybe he was, and thats the key. I run several types of lawn fertilizer spreaders. Each has their own unique way of ensuring an even left to right pattern as it is very important.
    Dropping the product on the spinner in the exact location it needs to be dropped for an even pattern is key.

I dont see how its possible with a vertical auger. Its always dropping the majority of product in a different position on the spinner. I know theres a ton of product zinging around the back of the deflector and going back out the drivers side. I can hear it....Zing! Zing! Zing! ha. Eh. Im not too worried about it. Next year I hope to upgrade to a Vbox or under tailgate.

11. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Unfortunately for me, I need to be cautious of how much I apply and still getting decent coverage. Just the way the jobs were bid and the fact that using a tailgate with bags is the most innefficient, or un economic way of competing in the ice management arena.

If I could lay it down real thick and let er fly I wouldn't care so much, but my margins are tight this year on salt.

:(

12. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

For your sake I hope I am wrong, but some of our locals couldn't get their Buyers units to make it a season. These were guys only going thru 4-5 pallets a year. We do that in a storm and haven't had much problem with our SnowEx, Snoway, or Grotech spreaders. I like the SnowEx best out of these, but like you will be going bulk with a V-box or tailgate spreader next year. Good luck and I hope you don't have any problems with your Buyers unit.

13. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Well I just had 14 ton initial order delivered so I hope I dont either.