1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader Options?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by northernsweeper, Oct 13, 2004.

1. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Hi everyone!

I am caring for one large lot this winter. I need the ability to salt/sand. I don't have a building to store or mix salt/sand. I also don't have the ability to load my truck, so it seems buying in bulk is out. The nearest place I can find that will sell and load by the hopper or dump box is 140 miles round trip from me,and that is only pure rock salt,no sand mix.
    There is only a bumper hitch on my 3/4 ton and only a pintle hitch on my one ton,so I guess because of the cost of a receiver hitch,I have kind of ruled the tailgate spreader out.I do have central hydraulics and a dump box on the one ton. It seems the replacement gate spreader is about the same cost as a v-box spreader would be.Then again,I don't have the ability to load. I have been considering a four wheeler with a 100lb spreader for the sidewalks. I have also been considering a cheaper bobcat for sidewalks.The bobcat would also give me the ability to load bulk, though I still have no building for storing it.Any ideas?

2. scottm

scottm Junior Member

in the past we have used roll off dumpsters for off site storage of bulk salt. just tarp well. a small skidsteer can drive right into dumpster.

3. northernsweeper

Thanks Scott,hadn't considered that.I don't know if the expense would justify the rental for 5 months.Did you mix salt and sand in the dumpster? Also,wouldn't the longer term storage of the salt eat up the dumpster?

4. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

The dumpster is a good idea. Why would you care if the salt eats it away, you're only renting it not buying it.

5. northernsweeper

I realize I would be renting it. I will check into it.thanks guys